Transmission coolers

wrongway

What is everyone using for a cooler after you delete the heat exchanger? I'm thinking just the stock one up front just won't be enough. What have you had good luck with? It's a 97 four wheel drive second gen that will see some pretty heavy towing every now and then. Your thoughts?

Hey Gary, I would keep the stock air to water and run thru a large air to air 30k rating or so up front. Reliability will be up for towing and dd. The air to water will strip more btu's even if water temps are 190's before sending to the air to air.

Chris.

I installed a ats stage6 and took off all the stock tranny cooler stuff and ran -8an lines to a B&M tranny cooler that has a fan and temp sensor all in one unit its set to turn on at 175 and shut off at 140 has been working great its mounted behind the transfer case on driver side.

I forgot to add that a set of twins are also anticipated. Therefore removal of the heat exchanger is going to be necessary.

I like overkill so I would try to stick a big aluminum cooler behind the grill and a fan if it would fit.

Garrett

Probably getting paid at work to post this from my D1

Derale get with the program old man everyone is doing it lol

Fat fingered from my dumb phone using tapatalk

If had ur money i would burn mine

Fat fingered from my dumb phone using tapatalk

We often just relocate the heat exchanger and run stainless braided line to the new location

Question for some auto guru's,

not to rerail.. but I just bought this sucker...
7be91139.jpg

and it needs a trans rebuild, trans is out at the shop getting built, and the tech told me its a good idea to eliminate the stock cooler in the radiator (seeing that the trans shreded something and sent it through the whole system)

cant the stock cooler be flushed? if not, whats a good brand of cooler to stick in front of the radiator?

Back