Transmission input shaft question

The one on the right is my original input the one on the left is the one that lasted 5 days in my truck ....something doesn't look right to me ...48re on a 06 ram btw

Some one let me know if they can identify the shaft on the left or I should say what's left of it ...it sheared clean off ....I'm pissed because I'm out another r&r of the transmission plus the 100$ I was charged for the shaft that is different from the original ...I did put a sonnax billet shaft in this time and I went to a single disc converter to soften the blow of lock up ...

What gear was it in when it let loose? Snapping inputs normally due improper valvebody setups. Or just plain abuse.

Last edited:
I figured it out ....the shaft was installed on the hub backwards ......

I figured it out ....the shaft was installed on the hub backwards ......

Hmm yes I see that.

Now the next question is how would one get it put together like that and not bust the front stator and converter?

I'm not a transmission guy ...is it possible ? When I put them both right side up the base of the shaft or what it appears to be the base are in opposite directions ....I wonder if he just stuck the broken shaft in the hub backwards ...

The old one popped right off so I'm thinking he just threw it in there ...I noticed allot of wear on put side of the hub like it was being side loaded ...maybe that's what contributed to the shaft snapping so quickly ...what could cause this ?

I'm not sure how it would even work for 5 days... But if a shop is doing the work, you should probably move on to the next builder.

Lavon

I'm not sure how it would even work for 5 days... But if a shop is doing the work, you should probably move on to the next builder.

Lavon

Exactly! I have no idea what is going on in that picture or how it got that way???

Wow you need to get the truck out of that shop and run far far away LOL LOL

It's just upside down ...I thought the shaft was pressed in there and that's how it was installed but I pushed on it and it popped right out so in thinking they just put like that so it wasn't loose in the back of my truck ....but the hub has allot of wear ....the outer gear part ? ....it was a used shaft and hub but even my used original one was in better shape after grenading it on the freeway ...just curious to see if that's a sign of a bad install if any one here builds transmission could chime in it would be great

If in fact it was installed backwards is the sole reason why you had the failure. But judging from the last pic it looks as if the end clearances were not checked at all. It was just thrown together and said here ya go.

I do these on a daily basis and I'm not going to point fingers but it appears that somebody was having a bad day.

Like I said earlier 2 times ...I was wrong it was not installed backwards ...the shaft was just set in there ......came out with no pressure at all ....as the far as the rest goes ...it seems like something was off and he was having a bad day or something ...he did both repairs and the 1st one only broke becuase I got airborne wide open with the converter locked when I hit a lip on the freeway and the shaft litterally exploded and took everything with it ....same guy already fixed it again using a sonnax billet shaft ....I'm praying I don't have to do this ever again with this truck

Yes like I said the failure to me looks like the end clearances were not checked. The last picture you posted is what I'm going off of.

Thanks for the input max ...I don't want to sound ungrateful ....it's just irritating having to do this again after 5 days

Back