TreadWright.com Tires

Anyone have experience with these tires??

I like the price of the 285/65/18's, retread to look like BFG AT's. Just curious if anyone has tried them.

I wouldn't be running these down the race track...but seem like descent street/winter tires.

I just got a set of 265/70r16's and was going to put them on my truck, but sold them to a buddy before I had a chance to put them on, they look awesome, if you order BFG casings you would hardly recognize them as retreads, they balanced out ok but took quite a bit of weight, they drive and handle as good as a new tire.

hm interesting.

I know 1 other guy who says he liked them alot.

for tires I want their $129 ea. compared to over $300 ea. for new BFGs

I would never run re treads on the steer axle of anything...on the back yes but not on the front IMO

I would never run re treads on the steer axle of anything...on the back yes but not on the front IMO

In PA the DOT allows retreads on the steer axle of any vehicle except buses. The way I see it you have a greater chance of being hit by another vehicle than having a retreaded tire fail. $.02

note: my truck puts maybe 5,000mi. a year on the street. I know anything can happen..just can get myself to spend extra $$ on tires when they dont get used often.

In PA the DOT allows retreads on the steer axle of any vehicle except buses. The way I see it you have a greater chance of being hit by another vehicle than having a retreaded tire fail. $.02

Yeah im sure other states do to, but i wouldnt want my truck riding around on tire that some mexican stuck some glue on a case and then wrapped some new "tread" around it...I do see what your saying though, just not the way i think about

Yeah im sure other states do to, but i wouldnt want my truck riding around on tire that some mexican stuck some glue on a case and then wrapped some new "tread" around it...I do see what your saying though, just not the way i think about

these are made in U.S. - Our History

Ok, if you dont drive that much then you should be fine. just keep an eye on em...

Been looking long and hard at the 265/75/16 BFG AT look-a-likes in E range for my 99 tow rig. since I think it was Csnyder(?) that posted a write up on them. $400 beats $700 by quite a bit!! LOL

Do a search...several members from this site have used them.

one of my buddy bought the 285/70/16 and he loves em, he even hooks to the sled with em and gets a great bite

I'm going to be buying some to run on the back of our dump truck and a few other vehicles we have.

Got them on my pullin truck. Not a thing wrong with them. Had another set on my daily driver and they worked out well. They are a little soft though.

I just put the 19.5's on my '98 dodge dually and they do very well for the hell I put them through. I would recommend them to anybody. I have a customer that runs them on his bronco on the highway and he said he got 50,000 miles out of the last set he had. They look cool and are cheaper.

i have a set of 265 75 16 guard dogs on my truck only have 1000 miles on but am very happy so far

For me, personally I try to put the best tires I can on all my vehicles and I would not run retreads. The tire is the only part of the vehicle that actually makes contact with the ground and putting cheap tires on a car/truck just doesn't make sense to me. I want my vehicles to be as safe as possible for me and my family when we are driving them. It drives me crazy when I see Pep Boys advertise 4 tires for $100... People actually trust the safety of their family to tires that cost less than what many people spend on shoes!!!

In most cases tires stay on a vehicle for at least 2-years so the investment in quality tires would be pretty cheap when considered over the long haul. For someone who only drives 5,000 miles a year, they could last much longer if you take good care of them and protect them from UV exposure and such with a set of covers when the truck is not in use.

Again, it is just my opionion, but I would go with a NEW tire over a retread. Especially with the amount of power our trucks make the sidewalls can take some serious abuse and you have NO IDEA what life the carcass lived before it was retreaded, wouldn't you hate yourself if you wrecked your truck and/or hurt/killed someone due to a retread tire failure?!?!?!?! But if you save a few hundred bucks I guess it is worth it... NOT to me!

I read a lot of people like them. However, there are some concerns...

Here is a 15 page thread on them:

Re-tread tires - Expedition Portal

Something to note from one of the posters, post #140:

Update on my Treadwright Guard Dogs.

They are GONE!!! Yippeee!

I finally replaced them this week. We had about 25K miles on them on a 1999 Grand Cherokee. BFG AT carcass, size 265/60-16s on stock wheels. The tread wear was very strange. One tire looked like it was practically new, one was totally bald, one was cupped badly and the last had great tread but started to separate/delaminate from the carcass (the reason I replaced them all). They had been rotated at approximately 5K mile intervals.

The only way I would EVER buy these again is for an offroad-only vehicle. They were loud from day one and only got worse. Much worse. Dozens of people commented to my wife that they could hear her vehicle coming down the road 15-20 seconds before she appeared. She couldn't even talk on her cell phone if she were on the highway.

I've ran bias swampers on my YJ before and am very familiar with loud tires and a bad ride. I'd say the treadwrights were eventually as loud as swampers. They road horribly as well. They always had a vibration of the tread beating the pavement. After the uneven wear the were so rough it felt like a ujoint was siezed.

They were so bad my wife insisted on HT-type tread for the replacements. We went with Dunlaps and they make it feel like a brand new vehicle.

For comparison I just put 35-12.50-15 Cooper Discoverer Stts on my TJ. They are an aggressive tread but super smooth and quiet. Nearly as quiet as the BFG ATs they replaced.

Back