Triple turbos

DIESEL_POWER

NGM Diesel
How do you figure overall volume of a triple setup. One atmosphere and two manifolds, and also vice versa?

What is the question? What do you mean when you say 'overall volume'? Also, who runs two manifold chargers but a single primary?

Agreed. That's would seem backwards. I don't know about turbos(air), but with liquids when you have two in parallel the flow rate doubles (lbs/min). Then in series the pressures will be additive.

Duramax, one turbo for each side on manifold as stated feeding engine and one turbo on top as atmosphere feeding the two bottom turbos

How would you figure volume add up all lbs per min, one one top and one bottom, or what?

No different than any other two stage turbo system. Primary is total theoretical volume.

The reason you don't hear a lot about this is because you're losing the benefit of the common triple set.

I'd be interested to see the primaries on the manifolds, compressor plumbed traditionally, exhaust plumbed backwards.

I'd be interested to see the primaries on the manifolds, compressor plumbed traditionally, exhaust plumbed backwards.

I've tried to wrap my mind around this from time to time... Wasn't there a Dmax puller that tried this? I remember seeing pictures on here at some point with (I want to say,) two GT42s and a single GT55.

I thought about that too. I wonder if you'd lose some of the compounding by having the secondary drive that far down the line. Dunno, I'll build a set and find out if somebody wants to give me money lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Would you be better off to compound each bank at that point? say an S257 over a 464 on each side? Smaller individual intercoolers as well?

Last edited:
I've tried to wrap my mind around this from time to time... Wasn't there a Dmax puller that tried this? I remember seeing pictures on here at some point with (I want to say,) two GT42s and a single GT55.
I do believe that Andrew Murdock tried it in his blue duramax.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back