Triples Oil Drains

CTDYoungGun

Seth- Fuel Injection Guy
Alright guys and gals...finally got my triples on this last weekend and running. Problem is the top (physically) primary is blowing a bunch of oil out the exhaust. I pulled the charger apart here at work today and everything is in great shape (just rebuilt, but the piston ring is correct size, in groove, housing not ownr, etc.)

My only other assumption is that my drain system is causing a backu-up in the oil drain and pushing the oil out the back instead...

My drain system is -10AN lines routed directly down to bungs welded in the top of the oil pan back in the deep part of the pan. Each turbo has it's own drain line and bung. The stock drain is not being used at the moment.

I'm looking for ideas as to how to re-route my drain system without doing something custom with the block, but still allow oil to drain freely out of all turbos.

Help is greatly appreciated and any brainstorming or idea you have can help...so feel free to throw it out.

Are they above the oil level? If not they wont drain properly. Do you have one or two oil drains in the block? I would utilize those if I could.

Don't the 12 Valves require a bung to be welded into the oil pan to run twins? You could use that type of bung.

.My drain system is -10AN lines routed directly down to bungs welded in the top of the oil pan back in the deep part of the pan. Each turbo has it's own drain line and bung. The stock drain is not being used at the moment.

What are you using for feed lines?
-6 or what?

Stock is 3/4 or bigger isn't it? -10 is only 5/8, I would think that it might be a little small.

-10 isnt big enough. the fittings are barely 1/2" ID. the fittings for -16 are about the size of the stock line. ive seen people go as small as -12, but id go bigger

-4 isn't enough to feed S400s, but it might keep up with the smaller frame turbos? Just a thought.

What are you using for feed lines?
-6 or what?

Yes, -6 feed lines...however, the primaries supply line is -6an to a Tee, then to each turbo. The manifold charger has it's own -6an supply and isn't losing any oil out the exhaust.

To be honest I was more worried about being too small on the supply than I was on the drain side

Not sure on the oil level, I assumed if they were in the pan low enough to be welded, they'd be below oil level anyways...I'd say the bungs are 1 1/2 to 2" down on the side of the pan.

Only one drain in the block...even if I go to larger drain line (which it sounds like is obviously needed)...where to route them/plumb them into? I supposed I could take the bungs off and go with 7/8" tube for the pan and turbo drain then use 7/8" ID hose for the rest...there's no way I can get a -12 or -14AN fitting to attach to the center section of the hx/hy frame...just not enough room...

Thanks for the quick replies! i gotta get the bish figured out and running asap...it's been a long time in the making

I got ambitious tonight after my internet quit and I went to the shop and yanked the pan off again...

Plan on tracking down materials tomorrow and possibly have the new much larger drains welded up tomorrow night. Thanks again for the input! As soon as I get it on the street I'll post video of how it runs.

Stock bungs are 7/8 OD, ID is probably a bit less than 3/4 in the block. I think the stock hole at the flange is smaller yet. I don't have them in front of me to confirm though.

Are you drain lines as close to vertical as practical, or is there any places that is acting like a trap and keeping oil in the line?

How much boost are those triples making?

Sounds like crankcase pressure is pushing oil past the CHRA's seal into the exhaust housing during low primary TIP conditions.

How much boost are those triples making?

Sounds like crankcase pressure is pushing oil past the CHRA's seal into the exhaust housing during low primary TIP conditions.

I haven't even gotten the primaries lit yet...this oil leak was at idle and then I test drove a mile or so to build heat and see if it would seal up...it didn't. I'm planning on making 55-65 with the set, but I honestly don't know what they'll do...

The center section on the turbo is a 3/4" opening and the stock tube is 7/8"...my boss dug up a bunch of old drain tubes here at work so I'm planning what pieces to use where so I have a straight-shot and 7/8" ID for the entire drain tubes...

may be a dumb question but....... is that specific turbo mounted/clocked to where the feed is at the top and the drain at the bottom?
Reason im asking is when i was builing my twins... i wasnt thinkin and put the primary on and it was not clocked right. The feed was around 10 oclock and the return was around 4. It was blowing oil out of the exhaust housing too.
rotated it right and it was fine.

like i said might be a stupid question but.. i quess its worth askin.

Lance

You took the plastic plugs out of the drain hole didn't you? lol, just messin' with u brother..............although I've seen that done!

may be a dumb question but....... is that specific turbo mounted/clocked to where the feed is at the top and the drain at the bottom?
Reason im asking is when i was builing my twins... i wasnt thinkin and put the primary on and it was not clocked right. The feed was around 10 oclock and the return was around 4. It was blowing oil out of the exhaust housing too.
rotated it right and it was fine.

like i said might be a stupid question but.. i quess its worth askin.

Lance

Yep...it's clocked correctly

Back