Trouble shooting an II PS 62/71/14.

4x4dually

I'm begining to wonder if my turbo isn't my problem. I may pull it off tomorrow and look at it. Anyone got any good advice or diagrams or anything technical that may help me make sure it is in tip top shape?

Trucks problem is it won't make any EGT's past about 1050 and boost is maxing out at 32 psi....instead of 1350 and 43 psi.

If I have to send this thing in...it will come back a SPS. :hehe: Anyone have a dog house I can sleep in?

62/71/14 is a SPS 62/65/14 is the PS.

The 71 series is the SPS
The 65 series is the PS

I'm begining to wonder if my turbo isn't my problem. I may pull it off tomorrow and look at it. Anyone got any good advice or diagrams or anything technical that may help me make sure it is in tip top shape?

Trucks problem is it won't make any EGT's past about 1050 and boost is maxing out at 32 psi....instead of 1350 and 43 psi.

If I have to send this thing in...it will come back a SPS. :hehe: Anyone have a dog house I can sleep in?

71 mm is the SPS.

I guess you can send me your 71 and I will make it an SPS for a small fee!

Sounds like a fueling problem..... if it was boost leaks, turbo, or wastegate you would have high egt's.

Sounds like a fueling problem..... if it was boost leaks, turbo, or wastegate you would have high egt's.

Ya, I played a dumb card. I have a 65. I get cofused. Anyway.

Fueling problem? Hell. This truck is making me mad. Current list of things done to this truck:

Boost leak check. Soapy watered boots and entire path. Found wastgate hose blown. Fixed. Found intake horn leak, new gaskets, fixed.
Injectors have been cleaned, checked, poped.
Brand new IP from Midwest Fuel Injection.
ECM reflashed. No engine codes before or after.
Test drive with DRB tool: No codes, all sensors reading properly, etc.
Unplugged juice and returned MAP to original wire harness.
Clamped off wastegate.
New DDRP LP. PSI is constant 20 psi.
New fuel filter. Cleaned air filter.
Tried neighbors ECM off his truck. No better.
Tried 7 x 10 injectors from Mumua. No better. Put Jammers back in.

Why did the wastegate hose blow in the first place? That has me worried. I'm curious if the gate isn't stuck open ever so slightly or if that would even hurt. You are right, if there is no fuel, the EGT's won't get high....but I'm smoking like hell. So, is there fuel or not? Seems like more air with that amount of fuel would burn better creating more heat then more boost? What a viscious loop this is.

Like I said in another post, first poster to give me a solution that works gets a free case of beer. Not kiddin' either.

Injection pump problem?

Verify that the wastegate works. The cast housings will crack and maybe all of your hot air is coming out of your mouth, I mean going around the gates.

Dan, that is why I'm thinking the turbo. THE INJECTION PUMP AIN'T GOT 200 MILES ON IT YET!!!!

hot air? my mouth? you...you.....big meany.... LOL

I'll buy the beer, just come over and help me out. :D

Dan, that is why I'm thinking the turbo. THE INJECTION PUMP AIN'T GOT 200 MILES ON IT YET!!!!

hot air? my mouth? you...you.....big meany.... LOL

I'll buy the beer, just come over and help me out. :D

I will be in the far sw par of MO this weekend, working on a tranny!

Hook up some shop air to the wastegate hose and see where it starts to open up at. Might be frozen in once position as well. Does it seem laggier than normal? If so then your gate might be hung open.

The cast housings will crack and maybe all of your hot air is going around the gates.

I think this may be the case. I'll be hopefull since all other trial and efforts have failed miserably. Even though I officially said "turbo" first as a generality, if this is the case, Dan, I'll buy you some beer. :Cheer:

You coming to Tulsa on the 19th? Weekend after this one?

Hook up some shop air to the wastegate hose and see where it starts to open up at. Might be frozen in once position as well. Does it seem laggier than normal? If so then your gate might be hung open.

Ya. Gonna do that too after a visual of the whole thing. It is laggier. It drives like a stock truck with a IC boot hole in it. :hehe:

I noticed the end play has losened up since new, but not enough to collide on the compresssor side. I'll just take this as "it can get more oil on the shaft now." LOL

The ultimate insult...Jory's truck is hung more than he is... LOL

Thanks for that useful tid bit of info......HEE HAW!!!

I am hung like a bufallo knat. :D

I think this may be the case. I'll be hopefull since all other trial and efforts have failed miserably. Even though I officially said "turbo" first as a generality, if this is the case, Dan, I'll buy you some beer. :Cheer:

You coming to Tulsa on the 19th? Weekend after this one?

Probably not, still big into pulling season here.

Without the "pump wire" connected to my Comp, I can't get over 38psi & 1200F but will smoke a good bit until the boost comes up to 25psi.....would go 40psi+/1500F+ with the Comp pump wire connected.

Did you check the map sensor? Doesnt the Edge fuel off boost pressure? If it does and the map is bad then it wont be reading the increased boost to allow for fueling

?? Just a thought but if your feuling, have low EGTs and low boost might the engine comprestion be low? Just a thought. I have seen MAPS do the same thing, except EGTS go high. Maybe check lift pump pressure?

Found the air was by-passing one of the wastgate ports. I cleaned it and double checked the wastegate actuator pressure with shop air. Everything works great and is nice and tight, it is just that the one valve had a black streak where the air was going through it a little. I doubt if that alone is enough, but I will test drive later this morining. I also checked the APPS voltage. Idle voltage on the sticker is .561 and it was reading .471. Again, not much, but we'll see. If that don't work, I'll swap the MAP and try that.

The low egt just baffles me. I don't get that. And I can peg the boost out without the pump tapped. Level 1 and 2 on the juice doesn't utilized the tap. I drive on 2 99% of the time.

Back