Trouble with friend's '02

fbilly420

First I will start with, This happened all of the sudden no changes under the hood in almost a year.(besides maint.) On his way to work started bucking on the freeway @ 75 mph, Temp gauge jumping all over the place. Check engine light "on"
Codes-
P1295
P0217
P0237
P0342
P0562
P0606
P1488
Used scan tool and cleared codes. Start up idles no problem. Attempt to give throttle and it jumps around like crazy. Shut off, with key on not started watched APPS voltage goes from .47V to about 4.0 at WOT.(consistently 4-5 attempts) Start the truck APPS voltage at idle is .47V but as soon as you touch the pedal the APPS voltage jumps all over the place. Ranging from 0.00V to 3.3V

I'm lost, any ideas?

P1295
Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Supply Voltage Too Low

P0217
Decreased Engine Performance Due To Engine Overheating Condition

P0237
MAP Sensor Voltage Too Low

P0562
Charging System Voltage Too Low

P1488
Aux. 5 Volt Output Too Low

I'd say either the ECM is taking a chit or you have battery issues and the voltages are going nuts. Put a DMM on the batteries and make sure they are 12.x at off and around 14.3 while running. If they are good, I'd say your ECM is kaput.

Find a similar truck, borrow the ECM for about 15 minutes and see if it fixes it. If it does, buy and ECM. If it don't, put the old one back on and continue and save the $500 for an ECM.

Edit: I doubt it is the APPS. You wouldn't be throwing those other codes if it was. $.02

Do any of the codes spell bad APPS?

Edit: Ok I guess not.^^^^

Last edited:
Yes, along with voltages and MAP and other junk which is all fed to the ECM. There are two things in common here...batteries and ECM IMO. $.02

I get ya! It doesn't sound like the typical APPS issue. Gonna have to agree with you on the batteries or the ECM. Or some other ramdom chit that might take decades to discover. LOL

I had the same issue once. Driving down the road....the instrument cluster went AWOL, gauges flyin' all aound, overtemp, no voltage, ran like crap. Crazy junk. ECM was DOA.

Let us know more and we'll try to help. Find a used ECM or one you can borrow to try before they buy one.

Forgot to mention.
Replaced alt. and load tested batteries (both less than 1 year old) Checked ok
Tested alternator before and would only momentarily charge 14.7V and drop to about 9V back and forth.

Nope. That is the PCM. The ECM is under the intake manifold, bolted directly to the block. There should be I think three bolts holding it on. Note: there is a hex screw in the middle of the connector on it. Don't break the connector because the screw is covered and you didn't see it. :D

Know where to find one? Reman or new? It is an auto, will one from a manual work?

Dodge ECM or something like that. I would find one to try with the same transmission. You can't return them so if you buy one and it doesn't fix it, you're screwed.

If you order...absolutely make sure....they program the correct milage and VIN into it. If the VIM doesn't match the one programmed in the ABS module, the check engine light will never go off. Mine did this. Folks have argued it with me, but that is what it did. Changed the VIN to the correct one, it went off.

Thanks for the help.

I am still going to check some more grounds. I will look for someone close with a similar truck. Do they need to be the same year?

Update
Sent ECM to a company in Florida for repair. Should have it back tomorrow or wedensday. I will post and let you guys know how it goes.

Update
Sent ECM to a company in Florida for repair. Should have it back tomorrow or wedensday. I will post and let you guys know how it goes.

Probably the same place I got mine. Did they ask for the milage and VIN # of the truck?

Yes they did.

Price was good. Only like $240 and that is with overnight shipping both ways.

Dang, prices must have dropped. That's great. Let us know how it works out.

Back