Trouble with Getto Jett'o

Bodacious

Comp Diesel Sponsor
We have an '89 vw jetta with the 1.6NA Diesel. A little over a month ago, I had a very hard time starting it which was really out of the norm. I finally got her going and noticed a small leak between the rotor head and IP. The IP was pulled and taken to a local pump guy to be resealed.

While the pump was at the shop, we decided to do a timing belt and water pump replacement since we have no history on her.

I gave the pump guy a couple weeks and called him to see if the pump was done. As I sorta figured, he hadn't touched it do to an illness in the family, etc...

Got the pump back a couple days ago with only the head seal replaced. Put 'er all together, used compressed air to push fuel to the IP. Bled the injector lines and she started to hit. She was hitting just enough to stay ahead of the starter.

Thinking we may have a leak in the suction line to the tank, a 12v supply pump was installed in line.

We cranked her over again and the best we can get out of her is hitting just enough to stay ahead of the starter and black smoking like crazy.

I called the pump guy and he said it sounds like a timing issue. We triple checked the timing and I even rotated the pump while the wife cranked on her and it is still not any better.

Does anyone have any ideas here????

I tried joining the vwdiesel.net forum, but, registration is not working at this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

JFetig on here is your VW answer man. Id PM him or Jason Czerak

The cam plate in the pump maybe 180* out.

Also its a VE pump so the Cummins VE problems can be the same for the 1.6L. That said your throttle index maybe off.

Ok, thanks for the replies. The pump is back off and I'm taking it back to the pump guy.

I wanted to give you all an update on this.

I took the pump to my hot rod pump guys and they ran it on a bench. The other pump guy had apparently backed an adjustment screw out and didn't set it back right. All is well now and we are slum'n once again.

Back