truck back from shop, more issues now than before: Please help!

OnVacation

Well, finally getting the truck broke back in after being in the shop for too long. They did good work for the most part, but it sure got pricey, and I'm not without my complaints

They wouldn't install my KPP billet cover, so now I can't adjust the gears I paid so dearly for. I'll have to find someone who can turn the pulley's down and do the job myself I guess (case of beer and pizza for anyone who wants to help...)

They tuned my pump back down to stock specs. its kind of a dog right now...

I've got a nasty rear main seal leak. Just started, but I'm losing almost two quarts a week. My driveway looks like a BP drill site. Checking locally to see who's willing to tackle that.

Finally, my atmospheric turbo (HX-60) is in need of a rebuild. The oil return line was installed higher than the feed line, and its blown the gasket (I'm assuming). Its pouring blue smoke at idle and lower RPMs, and oil is on the outside of the turbo and exhaust. I'm planning on pulling the oil pan to weld in a bung and reroute the oil line to the oil pan so it should drain fine, but I'll need to rebuild the turbo while I'm in there.

Aside from a basic rebuild, is it worth changing things up inside at all? I've got a 27cm housing on there now, and I'd really like to go slightly smaller to spool up a little faster. Where would I find a smaller housing? are there better compressor wheels available? Anything else I need to look at? This will be my first turbo rebuild, so I'm planning on allotting a full weekend to the work, unless someone thinks it'll take more time...

Thanks for your help

Send your turbo to Forced Inductions they will be very resonable and point you in the right direction. They are a vendor on here shoot them a P.M. for pricing it may be cheaper than you think and done right.

Chris.

Snap on has atool to pull the rearmain without pulling the trans. just drop the pan then screw it into the seal

Snap on has atool to pull the rearmain without pulling the trans. just drop the pan then screw it into the seal

when thats possible Ill drop a few grand for the tool to save myself the time to pull the trans and remove the flexplate or flywheel to get the ONE piece rear main in and out.....:nail:

not to mention you have to lift the engine some to remove the damn oil pan on a Cummins.

Sometimes if your just unsure of correct info you should just keep your ideas to yourself.....

Last edited:
when thats possible Ill drop a few grand for the tool to save myself the time to pull the trans and remove the flexplate or flywheel to get the ONE piece rear main in and out.....:nail:

not to mention you have to lift the engine some to remove the damn oil pan on a Cummins.

Sometimes if your just unsure of correct info you should just keep your ideas to yourself.....

Snap on does make this tool. As a matter of fact, they were running a special recently...buy it and get another tool free. My memory is hazy, but I think the other tool allowed you to o-ring the head without removing it from the block.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Snap on does make this tool. As a matter of fact, they were running a special recently...buy it and get another tool free. My memory is hazy, but I think the other tool allowed you to o-ring the head without removing it from the block.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lol snap on has it all

Find a new "shop"!!

I really can't blame the shop for this one. I think the blame falls squarely on the PO and whatever 'shop' did the work for him. It was pissing so much oil out the front cover, no one would have been able to tell the rear was leaking. or, it could have been damaged when all that **** from the front cover and all the valve seals came down.

as far as the turbo, well, it sucks, but again, they didn't install it. Just told me how to fix it. (my bill was high enough as it was, I couldn't afford another grand to rebuild the turbo and reroute the lines...)

What other magic mystery tools does snap-on make? I need to replace the rings in my bronco, but really don't feel like pulling the pistons. they've got an app for that, right?

You must not have seen this months tool flyer from Snap-on. If you buy the tool that removes and installs the front axle seals without removing the axle shafts and differential, you get the tool kit that tightens the 5th gear nut without removing the transfer case and tailshaft housing.

Back