Truck BANGS when you take off with a load...

jgsturbo

caveman
Ugh. Just swapped converters and No Change.
Basically hitch up 8000lbs and take off from a stop AND the whole drive train train shakes soo bad its visible from outside the truck . Its like tire shake bad.
As soon as the converter makes any load BANG BANG BANG and won't stop till you- 1 get out of it, 2 get it over 25-30mph. Over 30 with load moving you can whip it like normal, no clunking really.
Gonna check motor mounts etc. Does it 4wd or none .
Fark, hoping NOT a trans again... really hoping loose motor mount.
Seems like a motor mount I'd feel it clunk with the pedal?

Just curious.

What's the power mods and tire size? I'm wondering about pinion angle changing from axle wrap.

Me and others involved said I need to check T-case snap ring , could be easy fix w/ a shaft collar to keep it in.
Mounts are fine.

sure sounds like the converter slipping

I wish man... but I find this instead...

fd47re1.jpg

fd47re2.jpg

So much for that billet shaft :( And with a twisted shaft the direct clutch seems to blow :doh: I think it was an opie shaft. Twisted right at the smallest diameter - the splines. It really needs somewhere else to twist and spring back.

You're lucky that didn't break! I'd send the TC out to have a once over if you're doing a freshen up and new input.

I've got one drive on the last one I put in. We looked at the input but the twist was inside the pump. The truck only makes 530/10xx on my Mustang MD-1100 but its been known for being stingy lol.

I'd be looking at valve body/ lock up circuit setup if you're doing that on a regular basis with a relatively low power truck.

correction - thats the forward clutch.

Launch ? I've done a roll-on in 4wd on the highway a few times but no boosted launches. Maybe a few locked up shifts? I do tend to whip it a little towing but only 8k and I back the box down.

Others I know have seen this with an Opie shaft...

Last edited:
10-4, Done ordered yesterday. Now if I can just get new forward clutches/steels and a new diaphragm I'd be set.

You could not pay me to put another Opie shaft in one of my transmissions.

Do you let it shift 2-3 with the tc locked a lot? Could have twisted the input if timing is off on that shift causing bindup. I would definitely check for wear on the shift forks while you have the tcase apart. Had one doing something similar and I found good amount of wear on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back