Truck died, No codes

Bone stock 99

Ok well my friend was heading to work the other day and he just turned onto the highway and was speeding up, got it to fifth gear and it just died, no pops or weird noises. he pulled over and turned his key to the on position and heard the fuel pump running. He tried cranking it with his foot to the floor and nothing, it just cranks and will not hit on any cylinder. The truck has no codes, according to my friends scanner. its getting fuel but it acts like the injectors arent opening. Any hints would be greatly appreciated. :thankyou2:

I'd check for fuel at the canister, the cp3 would or should try to suck that dry if the lp is limping or dead...
check the filter and if there good I'd say it's bad news

well we changed out the lift pump to the new updated in fuel tank one and its supplying fuel just fine. I pulled the inlet banjo off of the cp3 and it poors fuel out with the key turned on. its got fuel up to the rail and everything which leads me to believe that the injectors arent getting a signal. i put my cp3 on it thinking that his broke but still the same thing, cranks, has fuel to the injectors but not trying to fire. i even tried to unhook the fca to see if that would help, still nothing. Im scratching my head

Check the wire that runs beside the A/C lines above the A/C compressor. It has been known to getting chaffed/rubbed through and cause this issue. Most of the time you will get a Cam shaft position sensor code when this happens. Sometimes not. Check it out.

i got to thinkin about the cam sensor since im gettin rpm which is picked up by the crank but no injector fire which is sent by the cam sensor. im gonna put a sensor off of my truck and i'll be sure to check the wires out. that clicked to me not too long ago. thanks for the advise i'll let you know what i find ; ) got my fingers crossed

Well I checked those wires and none are rubbed through. I also put a cam sensor in it and still nothing. Next I unhooked the computer harness and the connector on the cam and I have continuity from all three wires to the computer. I put a test light in the injector harness and am gettin a weak power signal to the injectors. I don't think I'm gettin a strong enough signal to power those injectors open. Any clues?

well i dont have a scanner that'll read rail pressure, i loosened the banjo bolt on top of the rail pressure relief valve and cranked it and had fuel dump out which led me to the relief being stuck open. woulda been an easy fix had i had a gauge or scanner that would have gave me a rail pressure reading. Thanks for all your help guys ;)

Relief being stuck open will get you. A RP gauge would have saved you alot of time.

My truck did the exact same scenero, I have a TS MPD monitor and it showed 5000-14000 while cranking which should have been great. Had a crank sensor fault which tricked me,replaced it ,and cam sensor with spares ,no start I knew the Skimm was bypassed with Smarty recovery . Last resort open banjo bolt on relief valve and it was bypassing 100%. Replaced with spare & Presto. So the TS MPD fuel pressure didn't help me it actually fooled me to look elsewhere.
I sent the bad Relief and a spare to T&C this morning so soon I will hopefully have a true relief valve instead of a fuse.

Last edited:
Back