truck died on the road today.. now giving me these symptoms

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
Got the vehicle back on the road today,

here is what has been done to it, New lift pump, IC boots, OFV, 440 cc pump from Seth and DPE ( fuel pulled back to minimum) pin timed at 18 degrees of timing, 4ks, 191 dvs, and so on and so forth.. vaccum pump seal was redone, and pump was put back in.. fresh oil change, all filters, including prefilter were re done... return line, and feed line as well..

drove truck around for a little while, and all seemed well. truck pulled fine, accelerated fine, and all of a sudden, the water in fuel light came on.. and truck just shut off and refuses to restart easily... thinking that the sending unit got stuck and trucks out of fuel, i add 25 gallons of fuel to it.. nope, same problem.... tank marks full,

truck can be gotten to run, but it is smoking white severely, and pops and backfires while accelerating.. when the throttle is released, the truck shuts off completely... and when it actually starts again, it pops and backfires... again.. smoking white, pretty badly.. injectors were all cracked, and all spray diesel.. truck has no fuel pressure gauge on it, BUT HERE IS WHAT GETS ME.. white smoke is coming out of the air filter as well?

ive seen injectors go out on common rails, (mine did not too long ago,) and at least the truck stayed running, even with two injectors that stayed hung open..

I am just stumped on this problem...

im guessing one of the following is the culprit...

slipped timing (main one)
plugged fuel filter/ prefilter
picked up some garbage in the tank.. and this thing just wont run right..
injectors...

i know i need a fuel pressure gauge, but does anyone have any ideas on what could the main issue be?

thanks!

Timing slipped, use emery cloth on the pump shaft, brake cleaner, and reset it.

Timing slipped or headgasket is blown

if the headgaskets blown..

wouldnt there be coolant all over the place? i dont see any coolant leaking from anywhere... still have not checked timing tho.. lookin for a timing kit, better yet, a reputable shop in the san antonio area... seein that i cant find a kit...

not necessarily it could of blown and going into the cylinder or oil port. sounds like timing slipped though.

you dont need a kit just to check, set the engine at tdc and see if the pins in the window, turn the engine over till you find the pin....

you dont need a kit just to check, set the engine at tdc and see if the pins in the window, turn the engine over till you find the pin....

preciesely the method im going to use

pumps pin timed at 18 degrees.. so im gonna find it when im off of work... probably in the next couple of days...

thanks for your help!!

Sounds exactly like my 98 right before I sold it Rick....i had set the timing to 26*, took it for a run and popped the chargers (both of them...ugly)

Well, with the massive unloading of the pump, it slipped time....light showed 60* ATDC....it would run, but barely.

Chris

Try getting it running, crack inj lines and see if you have 2 dead cylinders next to each other

It amazes me the number of responses for different issues, its pretty obvious that the timing has slipped. A head gasket never caused popping/backfiring/hard starting issues in any of the cases I've seen in an 6bta, now in a C-15 with a dropped liner.....yes. reset your timing and I'll bet my paycheck on it solving your problem.

It amazes me the number of responses for different issues, its pretty obvious that the timing has slipped. A head gasket never caused popping/backfiring/hard starting issues in any of the cases I've seen in an 6bta, now in a C-15 with a dropped liner.....yes. reset your timing and I'll bet my paycheck on it solving your problem.

Mine acted just like the timing slipped when it blew between cylinders 3-4 and 5-6. I have only seen maybe 3 or 4 trucks do this tho $.02

Yeah....I kinda think it might be....not sure though

Back