Truck died?

BIGTRKMAN

Ok, pulling a trailer ths morning with the 92 and hit a lil bump goin on a bridge and it died... won't restart without either and will barely run with pedal on floor. will not rev up, tried fuel filter change, cracked all injectors loose, no better. So? lift pump bad.? Second question is we just installed a new airdog on my brothers 98 will the 3 month old lift pump off it work? thanks for ne help...

Check your fuel shutdown solenoid. Hitting a bump and shutting off is a classic sign of the wire coming off.

It won't be your lift pump these 1st gens run without a lp as they have a pump built into the injection pump. It just helps with starting and adds a lil more fuel. I wanna post this as it's a factory recall and does cause you to loose throttle control on 92's mostly.

Recall #605 Diesel Fuel Injection Pump

Yep was the shutoff solenoid. Finally got it in yesterday and it fired up... expensive lil thing...

Fyi, VW VE pumps have the same solenoid and cost about $10-$30...

Posted via Velocity LG ALLY

yea, there's a vw guy's website that has bosch pump parts on it. They are cheap on there, I usually buy a few at a time.

Yeah my shut off solenoid would do the same thing. And at the stupidest times. Like onramps, rushhour commutes. And going up hills. Not fun hahahaha

It won't be your lift pump these 1st gens run without a lp as they have a pump built into the injection pump. It just helps with starting and adds a lil more fuel. I wanna post this as it's a factory recall and does cause you to loose throttle control on 92's mostly.

Recall #605 Diesel Fuel Injection Pump

The VE is capable of sucking its own fuel, but it has no "built-in lift pump." Although they can run without an operational lift pump, it would usually cause a loss of overall power and harder starting. That effect would be greatly multiplied in a truck with extensive fuel system modifications.

Wrong. Originally when it was designed, it was made pull its own fuel with no help of a lift pump.

Wrong. Originally when it was designed, it was made pull its own fuel with no help of a lift pump.

Fact to back it up: My jetta diesel has a VE pump that pulls its own fuel. No lift pump. Runs like a dream.

These things are true, but with the Dodge Cummins an LP is strongly recommended. The engine can still run, but not nearly as efficiently as it could.

Back