Truck has been in the shop 3 weeks

jwfrauts

My truck has been at the Ford dealer for a rough idle for 3 weeks. They have replace #3,4,6, and 7 injectors and it still is rough but not all of the time. It will idle smooth and then get rough and then smooth again. The dealer has been working with Ford and they have changed everything that they know to do. Now Ford wants them to pull the motor and have one of their inspectors come out and inspect the bottom end. The engineers thinks it may be bent rod (I doubt it very seriously) or the cam position pick up. I have studs in the engine so I don't want Ford to tear it down and then decide to void the warranty. It has had this problem for around 40,000 to 50,000 miles so I am not real concerned about it. Instead of going through all of the this trouble and a risk of voiding the warranty, I think I will tell them to leave it alone. The warranty is almost up anyway and I don't want to spend 5,000 or so if they void it on a motor I don't want anyway. I can put that to another engine. Has anybody else had any trouble with the rough idle after everything has been replaced?

Have they checked the HPOP check valves on the rails? I would tell them it has studs before they do anything, and ask them if thats gonna void your warranty first.

Forgot to mention that, they replaced the oil rails and check valves last month. I did call today and ask about the studs and he told me to call back Monday morning. They are not going to pull the engine until Monday morning so I will go check before they do anything. The money it will cost if they void the warranty will go a long ways to a new 6.4 or a Cummins. I love this truck but it has been in the shop around 7 times in its short 91,000 miles for head gaskets twice, egr cooler, 4 injectors, blown orings on the oil rails, wouldn't start when it had 4,000 miles on it, and a few other items. My wife is scared to go real far in it because it has been in the shop so many times.

Yes, and it doesn't do it all of the time. I even tried a different FICM and computer in it.

Oh yea it has plenty of power. You just tap the gas pedel and it clears up. The service manager said that watching the computer that all 8 injectors look to be miss firing and then clear up.

Not too many ways to have all 8 randomly miss. The cab has been off of this thing. Are all of the grounds reattched? And does it do it with a tune in it and out of it?

Yes the cab has been off twice. I does it with a tune and without. I was in it today and it was idling real rough and then all of a sudden it was like something turned on or off and is started idling just as smooth as it ever has.
Sometimes I can set and it idles fine and never messes up and other times is idles real rough.

Any data of the icp voltage and ipr duty cycle while this is happening? Or fuel pressure?

He didn't tell me but I can try to find out. I am going to get an airdog 2 pretty soon to try to raise the fuel pressure. I will try to get a fuel pressure gauge in the next couple of weeks.

good grief... 7 times in shop in 91k miles ....

Forgot to mention that, they replaced the oil rails and check valves last month. I did call today and ask about the studs and he told me to call back Monday morning. They are not going to pull the engine until Monday morning so I will go check before they do anything. The money it will cost if they void the warranty will go a long ways to a new 6.4 or a Cummins. I love this truck but it has been in the shop around 7 times in its short 91,000 miles for head gaskets twice, egr cooler, 4 injectors, blown orings on the oil rails, wouldn't start when it had 4,000 miles on it, and a few other items. My wife is scared to go real far in it because it has been in the shop so many times.

the tone ring on the crank is loose. i bet you anything that this is the problem! i have seen this twice. the truck would have a random miss on all cylinders. and to check this is to remove all oil pan bolts and let the oil pan just lay there and then try and move the sensor ring on the crank. if it moves any at all then the whole cranks needs to be replaced.

Normally if the tone ring is loose than you get random extended cranks.

i dont know about the extended cranks cause both the ones i have experienced didnt have that. they both started just fine, just missed all the time.

That is kind of what the Service manager was thinking it was. I hope not.

I thought about that too. I need to change the oil so I may try to drop the pan just to check. Another thing is sometime it blows really black smoke and other times it is a dark gray but it seems to have trhe same power. I am talking about from a dead boost not after the turbo lights.

I just left town yesterday...should be back in 2 weeks.
I'll run out to your place and take you for a ride in mine..maybe that'll help you decide how to spend your money. LOL

Back