Truck is losing power every 100 miles or so

madmikeismad

So mad
This is for a friends truck, and I know jack about powerstrokes.

Do 6.4's have dpf's? He says he thinks it's going into regen, but it's doing it every 100-150 miles. Just a DD, no hauling or towing or anything.

Fixed one doing something similar a couple years ago, ended up being the thermostats... I wouldnt swear to it but im thinking the oil and coolant temps were to far off from each other causing it to go into limp mode. That might not be his problem though because this truck was doing it after 10-15 mins of driving.

Last edited:
His dpf filter is getting plugged up so the truck is trying to regen more often because the exhaust temps are rising and trying to clean it out.

So it does have DPF. That sounds like the most likely cause now. I just needed to verify.

He can't delete yet because it's still under warranty, but I'll try to convince him. Do you have to take the cab off to do it?

You have to take the cab off to do anything to those trucks!!!

(just kidding. I'm not really sure.)

No. You do not have to take the cab off. But if you remove the dpf you will have to run a tuner.

Hook a heavy trailer to it, and go find some big windy long hills and clean that DPF out she will run like new. my buddy's 6.4 was the same way till he started towing my puller around. first trip with it up over some big mountains and back. it didn't try to regen for almost a month and it ran like new again. gotta get her good and hott.

Then the warranty was up. So we deleted it and threw a spartan on it. and then a clutch lol. she runs like a top now!

Has to be heavy enough to get the DPF good and hot. His truck was stock also when he was having the issues. like i said with my puller on the back thats 8k plus the trailer 3-4k that cleaned it out.

did you ever get this figured out?

we're still trying to find something for him to haul. he doesn't have a gooseneck hitch so my trailer and truck on it are out of the question, and the bumper pull trailer that he does have will not hold my truck lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Usually those dpf filters plug up when you let the trucks idle for too long- that goes for all trucks with those filters. A good long haul on the highway should get the EGTs high enough to go into regen cycle. Same thing was happening to my buddy's ole 2009 dodge he kept getting a message saying REDUCED POWER

Back