Truck just died and won't start P1689

JSPulliam21

We Don't Rent Pigs
I was cruising through a parking lot and the truck just sputtered and died. I have P1693 and P1689 codes. I looked them up in the Smarty manual and they are: P1693; DTC cleared in companion JTEC module. P1689; No comm between ECM and injection pump module. Please help me !:thankyou2: The truck is down the street in a daycare parking lot!!!

Dunno. My truck cut off on me going down the interstate and it threw those codes and a half dozen others. I just sanded/painted all the grounds and haven't had a problem since.

I did that a while back just as preventative maintenance. I got it started after a few cranking sessions and drove the mile back to school. It acted like it cut off for a second on the way back, and I still have the codes.

When it started at first it coughed and sputtered. Then halfway back it sputtered again.

P1693 is just a companion code. Means either the ECM or PCM has a code in it.

The other code could be lift pump related. Check the plug on the injection pump for corrosion and do the same for the lift pump on your fass harness.

Do you have a FP gage? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

JSPulliam21 said:
When it started at first it coughed and sputtered. Then halfway back it sputtered again.

Just throwing something out there at ya. I had this problem shortly after installing my Fass system.
It only happened when I got down to about a 1/4 tank of fuel.
I had the retro lift pump kit from dodge on my truck, so when I installed the Fass I had to put in a new draw tube that came with the kit.
The tube seemed fine when I installed it, but when I got tired of keeping the tank 1/2 full all the time I dropped it to investigate.
The draw tube had a hairline crack 4'' up from the bottom causeing it to draw air.
The only way to tell is if you open the pitcok on the fuel filter and turn on you key. If it blows foamy fuel it could be the same problem(thats what mine did and what led me to the draw tube).
After putting in a new tube, I can drive till my fuel light comes on.
Just a thought.

Amish Elegance said:
The other code could be lift pump related.
I posted what the codes mean in my first post.
Amish Elegance said:
Check the plug on the injection pump for corrosion and do the same for the lift pump on your fass harness.
I did both, and the data link plug, and the batteries for 30 minutes.
Amish Elegance said:
Do you have a FP gage? When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?
I do have a FP gauge, and i get 15 psi at idle, 15.5-16 with just the LP running, and 14 psi WOT. Fuel filter was changed two weeks ago, ~ 120 miles.
Jcummins said:
I had to put in a new draw tube that came with the kit.
I installed a Draw Straw with the bottom cut on an angle touching the bottom of the tank. I have never had this problem before, and I have run it down passed 1/4 tank often. It has 3/8 of a tank now.

Last edited:
JSPulliam21 said:
I posted what the codes mean in my first post.

I did see that. However, when I was taking my time searching for help with your problem, I uncovered a few threads that also tied that code back to a lift pump issue.

Sounds like your VP is taking a Dump. I bet there is an 0216 code in the ECM. Get a code reader on it. When My VP died last time,. I got the 2 codes you have and there was a 0216 in the ECM when we put the scan tool on it.

it sounds like u got air in ur fuel system somehow...

check for any place it might be sucking air

i got that code once - no comm b/n ecm and injection pump module. (2 months after my new vp44 w/ FASS so i didnt think it was the injection pump)
first, i unplugged the electrical connection to the vp44 - cleaned it a little and put it back...no start

i had to crack the injection lines to bleed the system to get it to start...

since then, i have air locked the injection pump about 4 times - 2 of those times were when i had less than 1/4 tank, so i am looking into getting a draw straw. the other 2 were from letting out of the throttle too fast

Timbeaux38 said:
I bet there is an 0216 code in the ECM. Get a code reader on it. When My VP died last time,. I got the 2 codes you have and there was a 0216 in the ECM when we put the scan tool on it.
I used a code scanner from Auto Zone to read the codes and it only gave me those two.

coon smile said:
it sounds like u got air in ur fuel system somehow...

check for any place it might be sucking air

i got that code once - no comm b/n ecm and injection pump module. (2 months after my new vp44 w/ FASS so i didnt think it was the injection pump)
first, i unplugged the electrical connection to the vp44 - cleaned it a little and put it back...no start

i had to crack the injection lines to bleed the system to get it to start...

since then, i have air locked the injection pump about 4 times - 2 of those times were when i had less than 1/4 tank, so i am looking into getting a draw straw. the other 2 were from letting out of the throttle too fast
I have a Draw Straw that is cut on an angle so that it can sit on the bottom of the tank. There is 3/8 of a tank in there. I have run it down below 1/4 tank before with no trouble, and it has even sat over night below 1/4 tank. I will try to get a gas can and put 5 gallons of uel in it to see if that could be it.

JSPulliam21 said:
I have a Draw Straw that is cut on an angle so that it can sit on the bottom of the tank. There is 3/8 of a tank in there. I have run it down below 1/4 tank before with no trouble, and it has even sat over night below 1/4 tank. I will try to get a gas can and put 5 gallons of uel in it to see if that could be it.

I had the same prob. with the FASS.....Mine cut off at above 1/4 tank......Jeff Garmon extended the metal tub that came with the fass.....I can get down to 1/8 now.....

Main reason I think this happen's even when you extend the tube.....When the tank is sitting on a work table during install, it's pressing the tank up and it flex's....When you set the length and then you pic it up to reinstall, it flex's back.......

Hopefully this is the problem......Minor fix....

I went out today and cleared the codes, checked all of the fittings and hose in the fuel system, and started it. I drove immediately to the gas station a filled up with $3.29 #2. Still running good. Drove to NAPA, about 5 miles away, and had no problems. I pulled the codes when I got back out, and I got a P0122.I cleared it. It started fine and drove back to school fine. I checked the codes when I got back, and the P0122 was back.

I did the APPS reset tonight, cleared the P0122 code and took it for a drive. Checked the codes when I got back, and there were none. ?????

My truck did the same thing about 50,000 miles ago, put a new fuel filter in it and it hasn't done it since. I don't remember for sure but I think it was the same codes you had. It seemed a little wonky at the time but its still running good. It would run at 1/3 throttle or less and was making white smoke. New filter and it everything was fixed.

I have spare filter, and will replace it next time it does this or the code comes back. That will at least eliminate it.

I have a remanned pump sitting here on the bench. The only problem is, I need a new mounting bracket. The bracket on there was the older model that's welded, and it broke. Anyone have the Cummins part number for the new bracket, and a place to get it?

Back