Truck studders during hard acceleration?

dieseljunkie

Wasted Wages
Why does my truck studder during moderate to hard acceleration? It studders hard enough to stall the turbo repetetively. Problem just started out of the blue. The VP is throwing no codes. Could it be a sensor? If I floor it and then let off hard, it will stall the truck completely and will not restart without bleeding the lines. *bdh*

The studdering might have something to do with your Edge Juice, turn it off and see if anything changes. When you have decent size injectors in these trucks and you floor them WOT for a while and let out real quick, they sometimes air lock the injection lines. It's happen to me a couple times before and you have to crack a few injection lines to startem back up.

Brett

Thanks for the input. I will go horse whip on it in the morning with the box off. I've heard that before. I wonder why Edge, what is different?

Jesus. Welcome, another Edge "shudder" member. I have fought this for over a year. It only happens when intake temp is below 60F or so and between 20 and 30 PSI. If you floor it will it fix it? Mine does. Take the Edge off, no more sudder. I have contacted them almost 20 times and yet no fix. I have replaced every dang sensor on this truck that I know to and tried a bunch of stuff like resetting the APS and everything. Nothing works. Only thing that works is to let the AIT sensor show 70F or above when summer gets here. It really sucks pulling a trailer. I brought the big gooseneck in today at 32F. A load multiplies the bucking. Please let me know if you figure something out.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6433&highlight=vp44

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7117&highlight=vp44

HOLY COW !!!! five pages of horror and dismay, your truck and mine must be twins. Almost everything you speek of is the same prob ive got , I never associated it with the cold, but Sure Enough it got cold here in NE Ohio and now ive got trouble. I had my Juice/Att last winter and had Major probs, but chased it back to a faulty IP (in the spring)code P0216. replaced the pump with a Blue Chip HO and all seemed to be happy. Now its gettin cold again and quess what. I have no dought the IP was bad and do not regret replacing it, the prob last winter and this are not the same, but thats not to say i had more than one issue last year. Over the summer i added the injs and turbo, that may have made the prob more noticable. Either way ive got no real answers. What did u come up with in the end?:thankyou2:

:hehe: The only thing I have come up with is a few new cuss words trying to get up to speed in the hammer lane with a loaded trailer!! The truck doesn't do it as bad when the backdown is at 100% (when cold engine protection is on) but gets worse after backdown is at 0%. If I can get the engine hot enough to keep the AIT above 75 or so it runs great. I guess I don't understand why Edge doesn't take a 98.5-02 truck and put a Juice or Comp on it and go run it somewhere that is is cold. I've have called them a dozen times and have a whole folder full of emails back and forth. They just keep telling me to switch this try that...bull corn. If I switch anything else I'll have to pull the motor!:D I'm disgusted with it but what the heck do I do besides pull it all off and sell it for used and spend more money for a Quad or something? I love the Attitude monitor I just wish the friggin' juice would work in the cold. Seems like the program could be changed to fix the bad mapping or whatever in the heck is going on. Heck, it would be fine if they would de-rate the power when it is cold as long as the SOB drives right. I have found nothing to fix it yet....after a year and half.

I've heard some put a resistor or potentiometer in line with the AIT....it may work but I don't want a bandaid (or a Jerry-Rig), I want a fix.

DTR Thread

TDR Thread

From TDR:

I finally got this bomb done. What sparked me was a trip up north. The OAT was 15F and the IAT was running around 50-55F. I had been running the XZT+ on the performance setting and I when I stepped on it to pass I got quite a bit of timing stutter.

IAT%20Relay.jpg

I went with a time delay relay and a 5k-0k audio potentiometer all mounted on top of the fuse box using a DIN rail. And of course, the IAT wiring harness extender that I had already installed.

Currently I have the time delay set for 150 seconds. So for the first 150 seconds the ECM sees the IAT after that it sees the potentiometer.

The set-up seems to work well so far, with the indicated IAT = 105F @ 5k resistance. With the potentiometer set at 0k resistance the IAT indicated 292F and of course it threw a 0112 code.

Jim

It is OBVIOUS that the problem is caused by the Edge module timing. Why the hell can't Edge find a fix for it? Or why doesn't someone program a fix into the ECM. I wish I knew more about the programming part. I'll bet if Smarty would figure out a way to reflash the ECM with a fix they'd sell a bunch.

4x4dually said:
It is OBVIOUS that the problem is caused by the Edge module timing. Why the hell can't Edge find a fix for it? Or why doesn't someone program a fix into the ECM. I wish I knew more about the programming part. I'll bet if Smarty would figure out a way to reflash the ECM with a fix they'd sell a bunch.

Wished I understood it more, but I don't. As the IAT drops the ECM adds timing which in conjunction with the a timing box can be too much. All I know is that the IAT resistor trick works and it is all related to heavier fueling, higher boost and timing. Most often I read complaints from guys towing or hotrodding, not much in between. This *****ing starts right about the time the temperature drops each year.

My studder was with an XZT+, so it is not just Edge. I believe that Quadzilla has since issued a SW that prevents studder. Another guy, from TDR, can get his to stutter with the Edge off. He has a HO ( LOL :banned: ) and the resistor trick fixed his.

FWIW I had zero issues with stutter running any Smarty SW except Fuel Saver, although I am not sure this is true for every truck. But it was never an issue for me otherwise. Maybe because the Smarty has a dynamic timing curve vs a static add to the ECM's timing curve or even a different fueling curve. About any of that, I am not sure.

Jim

Back