Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I think its hilarious when people worship the 6NZ as the be-all-end-all bad ass cat engine.......uhhhh.......have ya ever seen the bottom end on an acert?

There is one issue that the 6NZ does not have that the acert does and that is the broken piston rings.

The bottom ends are over kill anyways, they went to the wide bearing because of the longevity issues with the narrow bearings, so instead of looking into the crappy bearing material they changed the design completely. The acert combines the best of both, but there arent as many acert bottom ends out there that are being beat on like the previous ones, almost all the competition engines are running the previous design.

I think its hilarious when people worship the 6NZ as the be-all-end-all bad ass cat engine.......uhhhh.......have ya ever seen the bottom end on an acert?

I still think the best deal out there are the bridges, the price difference from a bridge to a 6nz is a lot more than the tuning costs to get them to run good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

The manifold require for the use of the twins makes it a no go if your B has a square port head, the round port wont even fully cover the opening.

I have a parts list somewhere that I got from a guy, I'll see if I can find it.

*edit
it looks like the part number I have is for a stock acert manifold so maybe that won't work. Oh well, I probably never would have gotten it done anyway lol.

Last edited:
I have a parts list somewhere that I got from a guy, I'll see if I can find it.

*edit
it looks like the part number I have is for a stock acert manifold so maybe that won't work. Oh well, I probably never would have gotten it done anyway lol.

With the B/C models, we don't have issues finding a good turbo anyways. We run out of fuel before that happens.

Just for my own education, You may correct my understanding of the definition/reasoning behind "de-acerting" the C15's. My assumption of what was involved in converting the C15 to the earlier 3406E cats was removing the IVA system, going from twins to a single compressor, swapping to an 6NZ ECU,Injectors, and changing some sensors required for the older ecu to function properly.
The reasoning behind removing Caterpillar's ,at the time, latest attempt at conforming to the EPA's newest emission requirements. Just a few of the flaws in the design by Cat were the increased cylinder pressures, the actuators prematurely failing, poor fuel mileage, increased eninge temps, etc.
They raised the compression of the motor and put twin turbos( increase manifold pressure to compensate for the actuators holding the intake valves open a little past BDC) on it to keep the power on par. In doing this they increased the potential/probability of premature headgasket/Engine failure.
So removing the Iva's solved the energy loss from bleeding off the cylinder air on the compression stroke and that gave them the opportunity to lower cylinder pressures by going back to the single turbo that was more efficient at the lower pressures while maintaining the required cfm to produce the same or even more power output. With the compression ratio being higher than the 3406's and the lengthens injection timing from the 6NZ ecu and fuel flow of the early style injectors guys were able to yeild impressive power gains while increasing reliability and fuel mileage.

With saying all that, PDI claims to have accomplished the same goal(IVA delete) by shutting off the function in the acerts ECU( IVA are actuated by oil pressure which is supplied at the command of the ECU determined by the factory programmed calibration in the ECU). Eliminating the need for the added expense & labor of doing the delete by removing/swapping all the parts and pieces previously required to accomplish the same goal.

Now I have been awake for an extended period of time and I am also typing this while traveling from the north east to Texas on my smarter than me Iphone and I have only come to these conclusions by the tireless self-education that the all knowing Google & World Wide Web provides, so this could very well make zero sense to anyone but myself and be so far off track that I have taken what could have been a productive hour of everyone's lives that you can never get back. If so be easy on the flaming :)

I haven't checked it, so I'm sure your source could bd accurate, but the only tidbit of info I'm curious about in all of that is compression ratio.

I have yet to see an engine manufacturer raise compression ration while attempting to meet emissions tier. High peak cylinder pressure= higher NOx.

The compounds shouldn't be looked at increased MAP so much as required charge air density at flow rate. Hot air charge is again bad juju for NOx.

From my Not-So-Smart phone

With every change to meet emmisions the comp ratio has went up. The C15/16 is 16:1, the MBN is 16.6:1, and the acert is 17:1 over 550hp and 18:1 under 550.

With every change to meet emmisions the comp ratio has went up. The C15/16 is 16:1, the MBN is 16.6:1, and the acert is 17:1 over 550hp and 18:1 under 550.

Like I said, I never checked it. It just doesn't make sense. CAT does that though.

5upenusy.jpg

Like I said, I never checked it. It just doesn't make sense. CAT does that though.

I'm sure they did it to help reduce some part of the emmisions, maybe particulate matter. Even on the mechanicals they raised compression and retarded timing throughout the entire cycle.

I'm sure they did it to help reduce some part of the emmisions, maybe particulate matter. Even on the mechanicals they raised compression and retarded timing throughout the entire cycle.

I think I know why they did it now.

On a different note. There's a 7cz somewhere in that crowd

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382620681785.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382620681785.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

Pretty sure it is to reduce particulate. Emissions changes coming down the pipe Should start letting engines breath properly again.

Pretty sure it is to reduce particulate. Emissions changes coming down the pipe Should start letting engines breath properly again.

Already have. SCR gave the CT15 another %10-15 power capacity over the previous system.

Are you speaking of something altogether different?

Already have. SCR gave the CT15 another %10-15 power capacity over the previous system.

Are you speaking of something altogether different?

Basically just that. Scr will free up a lot of power as well as cause EGR to go away on cummins engines

Basically just that. Scr will free up a lot of power as well as cause EGR to go away on cummins engines

I think its odd though because there was no reduction in the egr structure or heat dissipation.

Purchased a new to the farm truck a few weeks ago. Thought I would share the progress. The guy we bought it from had receipts from PDI for the rebuild 400,000 miles ago. No dyno sheets, but he claimed 650hp. I don't know if it has that, but it has a big fawking charger hanging off the side of it.

Anyways, the details:
1996 379 Pete glider
1993 Mechanical N-14
Eaton 15 speed double over
No jakes
Clean interior

Some pics of what I have been doing to it the last week. We ordered a 40ft Stoughton hopper bottom last week that should be here in a few days.

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0990.jpg[/ATTACH]

Back