Truss?

CHEMMINS

Not sure how many of you use trusses, but I have a guy in Fayettevill NC that is looking for a competent shop to be able to install one. I wasn't familiar with any shops in the area, but I figured someone here might be able to direct him in the right path.

He has been trying to find something local, but everyone he has talked to are wanting 1-2 days with the truck with the axle out of the truck and $700-1000 labor to put it in, and no previous experience putting one in...so he is a little leery of going that route.

Anyone around here familiar with the area?

Heck, it may pay for him to buy a nice lil welder and learn to weld?

Thanks

Last edited:
I know Thuren made a tube truss as well, the C's would be the only thing I would be concerned with, preheat and post heat on the cast.

Yup, Thurens is very similar. This one is 2" .250 wall and Dons is 1.75" .375 wall.

Preheat and control the cooling on the diff like howling said. Also you need to preload the axle if its not in the truck. When you weld up the truss it will suck the axle ends in.

Preheat and control the cooling on the diff like howling said. Also you need to preload the axle if its not in the truck. When you weld up the truss it will suck the axle ends in.

Agreed. I've warped an axle putting a truss on, and I welded a little at a time, moving around to let it cool and all that, although it was a Toyota axle and they're basically sheet metal. I'd u bolt it to a steel bench and put some good preload on the opposite side of the truss to control warping, or weld the axle to the bench with some tabs. A lot of shops will run a heavy steel bar thru the axle tubes with slugs on the ends that are tight to the tubes to keep everything in line.
And if he wants to do it himself, a little homeowner type wire feed welder probably isn't the best idea. A 220 wire feed at a minimum I think. A cheap 220 buzz box stick welder could do it, but they're tougher to run if not experienced. And filler metal selection selection is important. You need some pretty good amperage to weld cast steel. Plus a rosebud to pre and post heat as mentioned.

Any one of those shops^^ They're hands down the best fabrication shops east of the Mississippi.

RPM Offroad in Bristol, TN if it is not to far away, has the stainless bar and adapters to do the truss correctly. They did the rear truss on my '01 Chevy AAM 11.5 axle... Call them to get a price.

Thanks guys, I will pass on the info. I figured someone here would have a hookup.

Back