Trxus STS, 20" or 17" ?

1pieceatatime.

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Im strongly considering Ponying up for some STS's after 2 seasons of pulling on my Zeon LTZs in 305/50/20. Ive been very happy with them, but i feel like STS are the way to go. Can anyone offer any insight or experience on 17" vs 20" for pulling?

Ive currently got rock stars in 20X10, my buddy just traded in his chevy on a new one and his DC2s (17x9) wont fit the new truck. My dilema is that the price difference between the 20s and the 17s will more or less pay for the DC2s if i went that route, and that would leave me with 2 sets of rims and tires.

Get a separate set. Sts's will wear out quick on the street and lose their sharp edge. Only run them when you pull.

Get a separate set. Sts's will wear out quick on the street and lose their sharp edge. Only run them when you pull.

I would probably just park the truck and drive the other one even if i did have 2 sets kickin.... Usually a pull within 100 miles almost every week and i dont have any desire to be swapping tires once a week. Im also most likely going to pick up a trailer this summer, so putting miles on em to and from the further pulls shouldn't an issue either. 2 of the tires one my 20s are just about done for anyways so im trying to decide whether to ditch the 2 or buy another set of rims. I really want to buy another set of rock stars and put STS on those, but thats just coughing up to much money for the look.

Last edited:
I know where there might be a set of 17 in 35's

To much tire for my mildly modded wheel well, i think ide be right back to where i was with my currrent tires without the cut outs. Loaded up with weight and the bars back off it took it a foot ball field to turn the damn thing around.

No one has an opinion or experience? Maybe the 20s would be less prone to bouncing with the short sidewalls?

My vote would be for the 17's. They are lighter and therefore take less power to spin them. I know when I went to 20's on my dd I instantly noticed a loss in power. Plus the cost difference in the 17" tires is considerably less.
Just my $.02

My vote would be for the 17's. They are lighter and therefore take less power to spin them. I know when I went to 20's on my dd I instantly noticed a loss in power. Plus the cost difference in the 17" tires is considerably less.
Just my $.02

I dont care about the price, there close enough in price where its not going to break my heart to buy the 20s. I have been extremely happy with the 20s on the truck thus far. Ive never gotten any bounce out of them, even on ****ty tracks. and truthfully other than side wall flex i notice little to no difference power wise between my 305/50/20's and my 285/75/16's i run in the winter.

I personally probably wouldn't go with a 33x12.50R20 Trxus STS... it only has a load rating of 2630 - compare that to the Cooper Zeon LTZs that you were running at 3195 and you might find some drastically different track characteristics when it comes to loading the tires and flex.

I personally probably wouldn't go with a 33x12.50R20 Trxus STS... it only has a load rating of 2630 - compare that to the Cooper Zeon LTZs that you were running at 3195 and you might find some drastically different track characteristics when it comes to loading the tires and flex.

The ones on my truck are 4 ply XL rated (fat pig SUV tires), but they do have a weight rating of 3086, VS the STS being 2630 in the 20s.

For me personally I would not go with 17's I thought the 20's grabbed a lot more and just worked much better than the 17's. I actually have a set of 35x12.50xR20 I need to get rid of. They do not do well on the road and thats what the truck is going to do now. Because I went to a crew cab long bed and I am running duals and did not want to fight putting 20's all the way around to just pull.

For me personally I would not go with 17's I thought the 20's grabbed a lot more and just worked much better than the 17's. I actually have a set of 35x12.50xR20 I need to get rid of. They do not do well on the road and thats what the truck is going to do now. Because I went to a crew cab long bed and I am running duals and did not want to fight putting 20's all the way around to just pull.

My truck wont clear 35s, a check of Interco's website reveals the 35s are rated for more weight then the 33s in 20 inch. One thing about my coopers is anything less than the pressure i run on the street and they would bounce. But i always had plenty of bite and always did well save for a few operator error instances.

I could run the 33's with as low as 15psi in the fronts with a 17 inch rim. The 20's and 35's i ran 20psi up front and they worked great

i'm sellin a set of sts's on rims..33x12.50's...if you're interested..

Any particular reason 17s get your vote?

Load Range on tires is little higher. Seems like the extra sidewall helped me a little as well. I have 17s and 20s for wheels and the 17s with 0 or jus little -offset give you just a little more lee way on turning in pits etc..

Back