trying to find out y my turbo blew...

GOLDDUSTERS5703

trying to get to the bottom of this... had my s300 rebuilt drove maybe 100 miles with only one boosted 1/2 pass(30psi tops) and now turbine wheel has side to side play contacting the housing and making noise. took apart and shaft is blue like it ran out of oil. now here is where i think my mistake was... i did not prime the turbo with oil before putting it on (shows my ignorance)... thinking this is the cause. also once the turbo was bolted in place i realized i had to replace the oil drane gasket and part of the old gasket was still on there so i sanded the remaining gasket off and was careful to clean the oil drain hole out wiping blindly until the rag came back clean(possibly clogged but the next sentence leads me to believe it was not). also once the truck was running i noticed a small oil leak comming from the oil drain where i hadn't properly tightened it( havent cked oil pressure but this tells me i had oil supply and motor was rebuilt less than 1k miles ago with new cummins oil pump and such). thoughts or ideas? i feel like an idiot! :bang

always prelube the turbo prior to starting for the first time. and then allow it to idle for a few minutes before building any boost.

ya im learning the hard way i guess... i let it idle for about 10+mins. before i drove it do u still believe this was my cause of failure?

I would start it with the turbo off the engine and the oil feed line in a bucket and see what kind of volume you have. I have seen the supply lines get twisted or kinked while changing turbos and cause a restriction in the line.

Back