ts 6 position chip question

twinmega06

master debater
I have a 02 f550 with the 7.3 automatic. Is it possible, when you plug the chip in, that it could kill the ecm? I recently had it in the repair shop and they said they plugged the chip back in and it ruined the ecm. I find it hard to believe and wanted some other opinions.

I heard if the key is in the ign it will fry it but I used to reprogram mine and install it 10-15 times a day and never fried mine....Installer Error. Sounds like they owe you a new PCM

If the key is on and you plug in a chip, it will fry the PCM most of the time.

Key should always be out of the ignition when plugging/unplugging a chip.

Id have the chip checked out too before re-installing it. If it fried the ECM then theres a good chance it wasted the chip as well.

Way back in the day I fried my ECM with a Banks Big Hoss. Ignition off, key out. Sometimes it just happens I guess.

If the chip is not secure to the board, that will do the trick too.

mine was instaled by ASE certified diesel Mechanic , it was done right but i dont know if its my truck or the TS, most ppl say TS is the best thing for a powerstroke but it did not do anything good for me. I Swear i have a flashpaq that smokes more and better on my truck than the TS. I dont know it could have been the chip, it also made my tranny shift pretty hard. I was thinking about upgrading to a SCT or DP or mabey a edge EVO what would be the best choice for that?

I have a TS chip and Ive never had a problem with the PCM whenever I would take it out and re install it. It does sound like an operator error. Just my opinion though

it could have been, but 2 nights in a row i had to high idle from my work to a local shop at 12:00 am the truck wouldnt do anything none of the guages worked it would just idle that sucked, but it ran ok before all that, just made my tranny shift hard on the 60 hp setting and the 80 it could have just been my truck i dont know

mine was instaled by ASE certified diesel Mechanic , it was done right but i dont know if its my truck or the TS, most ppl say TS is the best thing for a powerstroke but it did not do anything good for me. I Swear i have a flashpaq that smokes more and better on my truck than the TS. I dont know it could have been the chip, it also made my tranny shift pretty hard. I was thinking about upgrading to a SCT or DP or mabey a edge EVO what would be the best choice for that?

If smoke is what you want then just put a bag on your air filter. TS chips are fairly clean in my opinion. Thats sorta what you want.

ASE certified or not. Anyone can phuck something up. Especially if they dont know what the hell they are doing. I.E. Installing chips

Ask anyone on here. They will tell you to steer clear of anything off the shelf as far as tuners. Edge, Superchips, Bully Dog stuff like that doesnt hold a candle to the chips like Dp, Tony Wildman, Gearhead, Powerhungry Performance, or the many other custom tuners. If you wanna get rid of that Ts chip, let me know. Im lookin to try some more tunes from other vendors. Could use a back up chip. Ive had my DP for 3 years now. It was a long time after i installed it, that i finally got the perma-grin off my face. Firm shifts are sweet, and Jodys new tranny tunes are very very nice. Im just ready to explore alittle more now. Possibly gonna try Beans this time. But believe me, nothing against Jody. Everything hes done has been top knotch. :rockwoot:

If smoke is what you want then just put a bag on your air filter. TS chips are fairly clean in my opinion. Thats sorta what you want.

ASE certified or not. Anyone can phuck something up. Especially if they dont know what the hell they are doing. I.E. Installing chips

well considering thats about all they work on are diesels i dont think it was them i think it was my truck but o well.

Ask anyone on here. They will tell you to steer clear of anything off the shelf as far as tuners. Edge, Superchips, Bully Dog stuff like that doesnt hold a candle to the chips like Dp, Tony Wildman, Gearhead, Powerhungry Performance, or the many other custom tuners. If you wanna get rid of that Ts chip, let me know. Im lookin to try some more tunes from other vendors. Could use a back up chip. Ive had my DP for 3 years now. It was a long time after i installed it, that i finally got the perma-grin off my face. Firm shifts are sweet, and Jodys new tranny tunes are very very nice. Im just ready to explore alittle more now. Possibly gonna try Beans this time. But believe me, nothing against Jody. Everything hes done has been top knotch. :rockwoot:

i dont have the TS anymore i sent it back after all of that. But i would like some info on a custom chip that would not F*ck my tranny or pump up

Your custom tuned chips are not gonna do that. Your off the shelf chips on the other hand would. Edge was the worst on my tranny. Like stated above, those vendors on the forum are your best bets. They will all steer you in the right direction.

go custom...beans,php, tony wildman,swamps...edge is junk on the 7.3 because of no trans tuneing

i have TS on mine and my truck runs perfect. ive never once had a problem with it. it was installed by truck source diesel in san antonio. the tunes are great the chip is great. nothing to complain about. ive had an edge evolution 2 and it phuuuucked my tranny. it was slippin so bad i was waitin for something to go. like gotti said. stick with a custom tune. theres alot of great vendors and shops than can do just about anything you wish on here.

Back