Tubes or no tubes in slicks? What are you guys running?

moparcars1

Buying slicks for the new build. Truck is a 94 12 valve rcsb will have a narrowed dana 70 rear end and a ladder bar back half. Goal weight is 4500 lbs. Slicks will be hoosier 33x16x15 on a 15x16 wheel. Wondering if I should run tubes or not. What's everyone else running? I thought the tubes might be a good idea to help stiffen up the sidewall due to all the weight of these trucks and help extend tire life.

If you like adding air when not using the slicks don't run tubes. If you like your slicks aired to the pressure you had when parked it run the tubes. As heavy as these trucks are I don't see a down side to running tubes. Plus if you have a spare you could fix a flat while at an event.

Tubes and screws with low pressures 5-7 psi is what I ran. Slicks like to be hit hard without load vs boost launching on the convertor. Trans brake that mother!

Last edited:
No tubes here 6k lbs no screws either never spun the tire on rim however we seem to be getting sidewall flex on big end and will probably be going to tubes soon.

I run tubes just to stiffen the sidewalls. With as much torque these engines put out it doesn't matter if you run a tube or not. The extra weight doesn't effect et or mph.

That's all the good info I was looking for. Wheels are drill for screws so I will be running screws. Thank you to all of you guys. Brad a trans brake would be ideal but not in the budget for awhile. I'll be running aerospace components dual calipers like Colin had.

I agree with the above, running tubes will stiffen the sidewalls and help the slicks last longer. Keep a patch kit handy in case you do ever get a flat, and make sure to use good quality tubes (the ones with the brass stem).

Definitely a fan of tubes in slicks and having beadlock wheels makes life much easier if you ever have to repair a flat at the track.

Back