Tuning Triples

Kind

With parallel atmospheres and dual air intakes, what are people doing to make a computer controlled engine function properly with the MAF sensor only reading half the incoming air?

on mine its not a maf...

What do they use on a 5.9cr? What did you do to compensate?

I've thought about running 2 MAF sensors but I'm not sure if that would work. Also thought about making a single large air intake but my MAF is only designed for a 3" intake. I'd probably need to run a 5" intake tube to flow enough air for the both atmos at wot.

What do they use on a 5.9cr? What did you do to compensate?

I've thought about running 2 MAF sensors but I'm not sure if that would work. Also thought about making a single large air intake but my MAF is only designed for a 3" intake. I'd probably need to run a 5" intake tube to flow enough air for the both atmos at wot.

If my memory serves me correctly it would be a MAP.

Do MAF sensors not work in pressurized systems? Can't you put it post turbos?

Do MAF sensors not work in pressurized systems? Can't you put it post turbos?

Would that not basically be a manifold pressure sensor?

The purpose of a MAF is to initiate what initial parameters the ecm has to work with I believe. If it is sensing only half the incoming volume, but sensors post turbo are reading double the initial input via MAF it will dump random fuel to compensate... At least that is my assumption based on my limited engine knowledge.

on my cr it seems like a temp and/or pressure sensor preturbo. most folks just keep it tucked to the side. it certainly no maf.

Does anyone think 2 MAF sensors can be spliced together?

Would that not basically be a manifold pressure sensor?

The purpose of a MAF is to initiate what initial parameters the ecm has to work with I believe. If it is sensing only half the incoming volume, but sensors post turbo are reading double the initial input via MAF it will dump random fuel to compensate... At least that is my assumption based on my limited engine knowledge.

your stock maf and ECM is calibrated to only deal with a certain amount of cfm or lbs/min of flow. Are you having issues tuning the triples???

your stock maf and ECM is calibrated to only deal with a certain amount of cfm or lbs/min of flow. Are you having issues tuning the triples???

Yeah, I'm only getting about 25% throttle with good rail pressure then it will instantly drops from 24-25k to 11k. Beyond that amount of throttle it begins to act similar to when I initially ran it without a MAF.

Yeah, I'm only getting about 25% throttle with good rail pressure then it will instantly drops from 24-25k to 11k. Beyond that amount of throttle it begins to act similar to when I initially ran it without a MAF.

Coming from a retarded 12v owners point of view it would seem like if you ran to MAF to both the inlets of the primaries and "spliced" them together it would work. Unless the "spliced" MAF's doubled your readings then it would give you simply the same output. I am curious of the answer as well even though it will never apply to my application. :Cheer:

There is no way to recalibrate the MAF on a 6.4? What do yall do if you want to run a large single charger and a 5'' intake? Seems like splicing another maf in would just give you another signal and not "double" the amount of air the computer sees coming in but idk

It has been sometime since I played with anything MAF related so forgive me if I'm not 100% clear.

Running two MAF sensors in parallel would not gain anything as the ecu would need to be able to sort out the voltage from both. Not only that as you would need to be able to rescale the ecu to read the new return voltage as the maf sensors are essentially just variable resistors it would now be RT= 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2).

Running it into a single large pipe is a better way to do it, though the ecu still needs to be re scaled based on larger amount of air vs resistance. So if idle used to be 150cfm=1.5v it may now be 150cfm=.75v, I don't have a table handy for a quick look up for pipe sizes. (numbers are just made up for an example)

The other obvious downside to using the single large pipe is reduced resolution. For everyone scratching there heads as to what I mean by that: It means there is a greater cfm per volt the larger the pipe you go. So if stock it is 1cfm=.1volt it may now be 3cfm=.1volt, as such the ecu has less and less precise control the larger you go. (numbers are just made up for an example)

While I am sure it can be made to work (as long as it is possible to re scale the ecu). You are bordering on the realm of where it may be better to go to a stand alone ecu, and run a MAP based setup.

There is no way to recalibrate the MAF on a 6.4? What do yall do if you want to run a large single charger and a 5'' intake? Seems like splicing another maf in would just give you another signal and not "double" the amount of air the computer sees coming in but idk

So far we have not been able to scale them at all. We(6.4 trucks) have just been dealing with it when we go bigger intake. Obviously not the best solution.

It has been sometime since I played with anything MAF related so forgive me if I'm not 100% clear.

Running two MAF sensors in parallel would not gain anything as the ecu would need to be able to sort out the voltage from both. Not only that as you would need to be able to rescale the ecu to read the new return voltage as the maf sensors are essentially just variable resistors it would now be RT= 1 / (1/R1 + 1/R2).

Running it into a single large pipe is a better way to do it, though the ecu still needs to be re scaled based on larger amount of air vs resistance. So if idle used to be 150cfm=1.5v it may now be 150cfm=.75v, I don't have a table handy for a quick look up for pipe sizes. (numbers are just made up for an example)

The other obvious downside to using the single large pipe is reduced resolution. For everyone scratching there heads as to what I mean by that: It means there is a greater cfm per volt the larger the pipe you go. So if stock it is 1cfm=.1volt it may now be 3cfm=.1volt, as such the ecu has less and less precise control the larger you go. (numbers are just made up for an example)

While I am sure it can be made to work (as long as it is possible to re scale the ecu). You are bordering on the realm of where it may be better to go to a stand alone ecu, and run a MAP based setup.

I had that thought running 2 MAF wouldn't yield anything...

I've got my tuner working on a solution... But I know with the MCC there is no way to rescale the MAF for that. How would one figure out the "resolution" of larger diameter intakes? I do have 4" intakes and factory is 3".

One would think there has to be a way to access and manipulate an electronic sensor. If my tuner can find a way it would help out a lot of 6.4 guys.

My truck was a completely different animal when I rescaled the maf correctly. I can't believe y'all with 6.4's can't manipulate the MAF voltage.

My truck was a completely different animal when I rescaled the maf correctly. I can't believe y'all with 6.4's can't manipulate the MAF voltage.

Agreed, it is odd we haven't had the tuning to do it.

I know my tuner Mike@KEM and if anyone can figure it out would be him! Us 6.4 guys stand to gain a lot if we can open up that door.

Back