Turbo advise

mtboggs

I've been looking at turbos and I'd like to hear some opinions on a couple i've been looking at one is fleece's cheetah turbo and the other is industrial injection silver phatshaft 62 which one seems to perform better all around I'm going to put it on a 98 12 valve I do tow a good amount and the truck is my DD what are some opinions on these turbos? I did look at a BD super B also I think it was

You should go read more before spending money.

What have you done to the truck so far? When you say tow, are you talking 5k, 10k, 20k? Do you daily drive in a city with lots of stop and go, or in a rural area?

Depending on your other mods you would likely be better off with a regular phatshaft 62 that has a 65 turbine vs the silver's 74. 74 tends to be a little laggy.

I've got 7x010 sac injectors 191 dvs 4k gov springs hybrid hx35 super 40 afe intake with bhaf 4" turbo back exhaust getting ready to do 16.5 degrees timing thinking about putting a Hamilton 188/220 cam in it. And I tow anywhere from 10,000 - 20,000+ I'm also shooting for around 500hp

Last edited:
You should probably grab some head studs and valve springs. I'd bump up timing more than that (maybe 19 min, probably 21-23 ideal IMO).
You should get some trans work in too. (input, tc, valve body, extra clutches)

Then with 500hp in mind, you can stay on the lower side of the spectrum.

Depending on your other mods you would likely be better off with a regular phatshaft 62 that has a 65 turbine vs the silver's 74. 74 tends to be a little laggy.

Aren't the phatshafts 71mm turbines as opposed to the silver series 74mm? I haven't seen the 65mm option but haven't looked in a while.

On topic though, I've always liked a 62mm inducer turbo for all around towing and power, but they can still get warm towing heavy (over 15k) if they're being over fueled. Most I drove had 71mm turbines with 14cm housings so one that's a little tighter might help getting those heavier loads moving easier with lower egt's

Phatshaft has a 65mm turbine
Super Phatshaft has a 71mm turbine
Silver Phatshaft has a 74mm turbine

Phatshaft has a 65mm turbine
Super Phatshaft has a 71mm turbine
Silver Phatshaft has a 74mm turbine

Phatshaft has a 65mm Turbine
Super Phatshaft has a 71mm Turbine
Silver Series has a 74mm Turbine
Silver "Bullet" 66/74/.7 or .8 (I see the Silver "Bullet" mis- discribed alot)

I do have trans work done triple disc converter manual valve body with ratchet shifter heavier second gear band i know i'll be needing heavier clutches eventually. and the reason i'm going with 16.5 degrees timing is because I don't have head studs yet but they are on the list of things that I want to get. Has anybody ever ran a fleece cheetah turbo?

After some of their recent actions and some of the things they promote and support I wouldn't give Industrial a counterfeit nickel.

I was running a 64mm bulls eye turbo with a batmo wheel and it spooled pretty nicely. now it did get a little toast when pulling heavy up a mountain but wasn't hateful if I kept the rpms up. I think with the mods you already have you will be cutting your potential a little short with a 62.

The only reason I'm I put this post on is because I don't want to just go blow money on a turbo and end up running like crap. There are a lot of people on hear that have been where I am and like the title said I'm lookin for advise on what turbo would work bed for me

The only reason I'm I put this post on is because I don't want to just go blow money on a turbo and end up running like crap. There are a lot of people on hear that have been where I am and like the title said I'm lookin for advise on what turbo would work bed for me

Calm down there chief. Nobody is making fun of you. This is actually one of the nicest 'new guy' threads I've seen.

Take the advice and do more HW. Once you think you know what you want, call a distributor and have them show you that you don't know nearly as much as you think you do. And they'll give you even more to consider.

Or you could just copy someone else's setup, which isn't a bad thing.

Ya I'm finding that out on one of my other posts they're having a hay day with my misspelling.

Back