Turbo and injectors

loconut21

I am trying to decide what injectors and turbo to go with on a truck I just bought for this pulling season. I will be pulling 2.6 class. As of right now I'm pulling the pump and sending it to kevin at northeast, so it will be a fresh
13mm p-pump. I also will have an air to water incooler set to keep it cool. The engine has mahle pistons with .250 valve relieves and an eep cam that requires .100 valve relieves(havent got to degree cam to get exact specs on it yet). What i was wanting some help on is what turbo and injectors to go with, currently truck has jl machine 5x20's. I was gonna go with an S400 based turbo, but the more I read i'm wondering if I should drop the coin for an HX60 just don't know if the power difference is worth the extra money. I have been playing with powerstokes for a long time and tired of spending money to get in top ten, so the mechanical injection and tuning them in is a little new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think you can go wrong with Hart's 5x0.25 dual feed injectors and an HX-60 or Precision. On my last 12V I picked up about 150hp with an HX-60 versus an S480

Last edited:
Where can a guy get info on HX60's, like turbine options, wheel sizes, etc? Besides calling Haisley, Harts, or CDS?

From what I have learned, it depends on how competitive your classes are, and how determined you are to win. If you want to be competitive anywhere, go HX60 or Precision. If you want to win local brush pulls you can get by cheaper. It really comes down to how competitive you want to be.

Spend the money once. Dollar per Hp on the turbo is well worth it. Its tough to beat hart's products (including injectors). I would rather pay an extra 25% for a product that is "marketed well" and makes power than feel like i have to make an excuse as to why I got "X" place. Come to think of it its kinda sad. lol

harts duel feed 5x25s an a harts ppl hx 60 haisley machiene has some great injectors out also

harts duel feed 5x25s an a harts ppl hx 60 haisley machiene has some great injectors out also

i dont think haisley builds injectors. they just sell them. harts builds their own stuff. there are also other options out there for injectors.

I appreciate everyone's input I didn't realize the 60 was that much better than an s400. I agree completely spend the extra money and do it once, that's why I wanted to ask before I dropped the coin, thanks again.

I appreciate everyone's input I didn't realize the 60 was that much better than an s400. I agree completely spend the extra money and do it once, that's why I wanted to ask before I dropped the coin, thanks again.

Well it depends what HX60 your looking at. The HX60 with a 80mm compressor is the weak one of the family due to being more sensitive on shaft/surge vibrations and the flowmap is not that great. If you looking for a Holset turbo with a 76mm compressor you better take a H3B, difference is it got more clearance on the compressor side so it not so sensitive on shaft/surge vibrations and we now have a upgraded billed wheel for it as well, not a cut back 80mm billed.

Most BW S400X3 have a far better compressor side than the HX60, only downside could be you do not have a lot of options on the hot side but I strongly believe that this can be overcome by waste gating and trimming the turbine housing or using the 1.32AR and the bigger turbine wheel. We working very hard to get a BW S482X3 to perform over 1100Hp, the HX60 80mm billed did 1030Hp max and anything over and it only lives 20 seconds.

Take in mind both brand of turbochargers need to be up grated to run hi boost and if it come to budged the BW here in Europe is the better one for les money but I think for Holset you pay a lot more in the US. Some of the Holset here are made from used parts, they look like new but they are not as so many engines have Holset on them they are widely available.

Drop me an e-mail and I will sent you some data from Holset BorgWarner and Garrett so it’s clear how to compare them.

Scheids 5x.025 DT IH Dual Fed Injectors W/ a Haisley HX60. Best combo out there.

prob a good 100-150hp diff between a 60 and a s4 based turbo. no a s5 thats diff... everyone got away from the s4 because the turbine was limited.. step into a s400-500 hybrid and it might be a equal match...

prob a good 100-150hp diff between a 60 and a s4 based turbo.

You could bridge the gap a bit by using the Cat compressor cover and a 1.58AR turbine housing, shaft power at the end of the track may be a concern though.

Back