Turbo Bellmouth?

gman99

Alright I am posting this up with the distinct risk of getting flamed, so here it goes. I am building a he351 over billet s475 with a standard cover. My question is this, has anyone epoxy filled the inlet to create a "homemade bellmouth inlet".

Basically It would be modeled after the borg racecover. I am aware that it will not get me the same benefit as a real racecover. Considering that the racecover gives another 100hp to the s475's potential I figure it should be worth something at very least. Also seeing as the pressure ratio on the s475 won't be that high the need for a map groove is nil in my opinion.

Anyways I am posting this for thoughts and opinions as well as hopefully hearing from someone who has done it before.

:charger::Cheer:

Alright I am posting this up with the distinct risk of getting flamed, so here it goes. I am building a he351 over billet s475 with a standard cover. My question is this, has anyone epoxy filled the inlet to create a "homemade bellmouth inlet".

Basically It would be modeled after the borg racecover. I am aware that it will not get me the same benefit as a real racecover. Considering that the racecover gives another 100hp to the s475's potential I figure it should be worth something at very least. Also seeing as the pressure ratio on the s475 won't be that high the need for a map groove is nil in my opinion.

Anyways I am posting this for thoughts and opinions as well as hopefully hearing from someone who has done it before.

:charger::Cheer:
I thought the extra flow of the racecover comes from the higher A/R volute, not the intake ?

There is a flow test comparison of different shaped comp housing intakes on some swedish board, they mostly got less flow after modding factory covers, so not worth the time and effort if you ask me.

Interesting. Any idea what vehicle's were involved in the test or any other information regarding this test?

race covers have a larger A/R

You're not going to get a noticeable gain from something like this

It wouldn't help performnace much. Certainly not as much as a .66 AR "race" cover that doesn't help a 75mm that much anyway. Don't forget the MWE groove too!

Last edited:
Interesting. Any idea what vehicle's were involved in the test or any other information regarding this test?
they tested covers on flow bench. I tried to find the thread and pics but no luck. MWE groove flows more but only when you go past choke point.

Well this sounds like it may be a waste of time. The question really arose from me wanting to modify everything that I put on to a vehicle or boat etc. Just like the tinkering aspect of it to be honest. However if there has been research showing no gain then I'll tinker else where.

Back