turbo blankets on the down and dirty

Thegrampatrk

Just got my new turbo blankets from silicone intakes and they seem.to be great peices they are spring retained not strapped on will post pics in a while

whell I have some pics of them installed but went on a test drive super lowered egts quicker spool of both turbos by 100 rpm or so seems to be worth the money the t3 blanket gets in the way of the spring gate on my he351 but the gt4202 with t4 fits like a glove

Blankets are heat shields to protect engine bay parts from heat damage. They make no difference in performance. There is no physically possible way a blanket can alter spool-up times due to the thermal capacity of the cast iron turbine housing. Even a heat soaked engine will not see any spool up difference with/without a turbo blanket.

There can be a slight increase in overall efficiency at constant load, but not at any other time.

What about the Physics Class teaching? You know, the one about hotter exhaust travels faster and scavenges better???

Generally, I've seen no improvement in spooling with them. Except, I have noticed that if I spend a long time spooled at the line waiting for the other person to stage, that my 60' times will improve.

that's all in the converter, they will do that when hot

Ahhh, I was wondering about that.

I've also noticed that my first run is just about always my quickest. You think that is converter related too?

Regardless of spooling, the blankets are worth it to keep the under the hood temps lower.

If you tow it to the track, you don't have the heat soak issue, it very well could be you fastest pass, if you drive it to the track, it only gets hotter from there..

Blankets are heat shields to protect engine bay parts from heat damage. They make no difference in performance. There is no physically possible way a blanket can alter spool-up times due to the thermal capacity of the cast iron turbine housing. Even a heat soaked engine will not see any spool up difference with/without a turbo blanket.

There can be a slight increase in overall efficiency at constant load, but not at any other time.

False. Blankets insulate the housing from convection and radiation losses, keeping the housing material hotter, thus reducing thermal inertia. Exhaust gas will not reject as much heat into the housing, maintaining peak expansion and pressure. However I will say that mechanical induced exhaust flow (from simply turning the engine thousands of times a minute) and chemical induced flow (from combustion expansion reaction) have much more impact on turbine response.

What about the Physics Class teaching? You know, the one about hotter exhaust travels faster and scavenges better???

Clearly you missed the lessons on thermal inertia and thermal capacity.
Remember when I said "thermal capacity of the cast iron turbine housing"?
Right! That means the exhaust gases heat up much faster than the exhaust manifold and turbine housing around them. Go out and power brake your engine for 5 seconds. The exhaust gasses inside reached upwards of 1000*f yet your exhaust manifold is much less than that. Why? Research the keywords in the first sentence.

Regardless of spooling, the blankets are worth it to keep the under the hood temps lower.

And that is exactly what they are designed to do.

Blankets insulate the housing from convection and radiation losses, keeping the housing material hotter, thus reducing thermal inertia.
That has nothing to do with spooling times. The exhaust has very little time in contact with the manifolds and housing due to the very high gas velocity, very low metal surface area and insulating layer of diesel soot inside.

However I will say that mechanical induced exhaust flow (from simply turning the engine thousands of times a minute) and chemical induced flow (from combustion expansion reaction) have much more impact on turbine response.
Which is exactly why they do not work to change spool times. The volume and mass of the fluid (exhaust) is what drives the turbine, heat increases efficiency of the process. Much like steam driving a turbine is more efficient than condensed water.

If keeping the exhaust as hot as possible is your goal, Jet-Hot Ceramic coating the inside of the manifolds and turbine housing produces far greater results. Unlike blankets and wraps, it will help prevent the gases from heating the metal in the first place!

Back