Turbo failure thoughts , 62/65/12

meatball

I got this phatshaft 62 about 3 years ago, I rebuilt it , and ran it for about 2 years .
I pulled it off to go another route and let a friend use it ( sort of a community charger) . When I gave it to him everything seemed tight , no in and out play and normal side to Side. I suggested he freshen it up before he runs it to be safe . It's no harm no foul really like I said a community charger .
He bought a 64 because this 62 seemed like it blew a seal and he gave the 62 back to me .
Upon tear down I found this
qemubyby.jpg
9epe6u9y.jpg
aqytamar.jpg
e2yzaby3.jpg

He ran it for a couple months but the damage happened quick .
The shaft is what worries me , I haven't got to the journals yet , but you can feel the smear or deformation on the shaft . Is this save-able or not worth it .

I would say he was shutting it off hot and it was spinning without oil.

Or has an oil pressure problem, most likely was shut down too hot.

Was it run on a manual truck? I'm trying to figure out how it had that much of a thrust issue.

Reaper of Threads

My friends truck is a 160 pumped auto with dap 5x14's and 4k gov springs .. The afc was really poorly tuned and I'm not sure the waste gate was even being used .
With that charger on my truck it would build boost insanely fast but with the small turbine and housing things got hot just as fast , I'm sure drive press was up there . I've had that charger up to 50lbs easily before . but I wouldn't keep it there , I wasn't trying to kill it and i handed it off in good shape . I think the boost elbow was buried closed and the throttle to the floor for the remainer of its life .

My biggest question is if its salvageable or not with the condition of the shaft . I could get a new housing and wheel but if the shaft is shot I'm not sure i want to drop that kind of money in it .

Have you mic'd the shaft to see what the +/- is? do some digging and see if you can find a salvage and reusability spec for that charger.

If it's "the community charger" throw some new bearings in it and keep it in the community.

I've seen much worse looking holset shafts and beat-up compressor wheels last 50k+ miles and counting with just a new set of bearings.

Thanks blue , I think it'll be fine with a rebuild kit.

My plan was to try and trade it off for a 66 but the value is depreciated a little bit now .

Back