Turbo Guru's, I need help...

MMAguy

Ok guys, I have an 06' cummins with twins on it. A 64/12/71 over a S480. These turbo's are 3-4 years old. Here's the issue I am trying to solve, I live at 5,000 ft elevation and have flux 5.1's. It still smokes pretty bad even with the exhaust manifold, head, turbo pieces and all of that stuff ported and polished. It's got a ZZfab side intake, intercooler with the banks high ram and 3 1/2" intercooler line, a large cam, dual cp3's. Smarty tnt, stage 2 fuel box. What the hell else can I do to get this thing to spool up and jump off the line, this lagg is killin me. The banks Monster Ram intake? How ab out modifying my S480 to a 482, 483, or 488 with a race cover? Are the newer designed wheels any lighter and do they spool any faster? My next step is throwing a set of 200 hp nozzles in there until smarty releases the SSR so I can back off on the low end fueling...Thanks for any feedback...tires and gears are matched well and the converter is an 1800 stall I believe...

those are big twins... summer air and humidity and high elevation don't help at all. how big of turbine housing on the 480?

The only high altitude turbo setup I've seen that spools quick and makes great power is the Wide Open Performance triple turbo setup. WOP's shop is located in Utah where the valley floor elevation ranges from 4200 to 4800' so they spend a lot of time testing and researching high altitude spool-up since 90% of their walk-in customer's live at high altitude.

The only way you're going to get faster spool-up with twins is to go smaller on both turbo's

I live at 4500ft elevation, Ogden Utah and we run a truck with 68/74/14 over an S483 from E.D and Im very impressed with how well it spools up. They spool damn fast considering. But then again Ive never been a big fan of the 64/480 combo for twins. The truck with the E.D twins is a PPump 24v nothin extreme like head porting or that. Stock intake runner, just a street cam and a couple other things. There lit and pulling hard by 2200rpm and revv DEEP in the power range. Id lookin into changing turbos, Plus this truck has a 2500 stall converter which will help TREMENDOUSLY, that and the 12cm housing on the 64 isnt gonna flow very well either.

Looser converter....other than that, the lag you're referring to is just kinda how things work...

could look into a smaller housing for the big charger or try some ball bearing chargers but their expensive

Id put a 14cm on the 64, and a 1.10 t-6 on the 80 with a 2100 stall converter and thatll make all the difference in the world!

Back