Turbo Popping??? Need Advice.

Mark Craig

CompetitionDiesel Sponsor
Afternoon,

Loaded up the trailer after leaving the truck idle for 4 days and took off easy. Got to the interstate gave it about 1/2 throttle and POP POP POP sort of sounded like an intercooler boot blowing off, but at maybe 25% of the sound volume that a boot makes. Every time I added throttle it continued to do it. I was 600 miles from home and was a bit queasy but I got PO'ed and I just hammered it to 90+ MPH and then let it settle back to 75 MPH. Never did it again, anyone know what it was???

The whole trip out and back I seem to have seen high EGT's too. Trailer was 7000 LBS and running 72-75 MPH across the mountians in Asheville NC. These mountains are steep and long but really not a big deal and I was seeing (on the Attitude) 1450-1550 when under load. Been getting a wirring/hiss noise the last 1000 miles too from the passenger floor/dash area. Sort of sounds like a turbo on a 7.3 Powerstroke when it goes in a compressor stall.

Tell me what you think I have going on. It's got less than 40K on it so far! Want to do the DDP nozzles and a XZT or Smarty but need to know it's OK before I do any of that and kill the warranty

Mark @ DPPI

Mods

No real mods, Juice Attitude, Intake system and Air Dog fuel system only.

Mark

10-4
Sounds like something in the variable geometry mechanisim in the turbocharger or the EGR system is malfunctioning

Back