Turbonator or EFR series? 24V Turbo

VMacKenzie

I'm looking down the road for my next VP truck turbo setup as I've run a Garrett GT3788R for 8 years now. Time for something else on my '98 24-valve. My goal is low-mid 400hp with good drivability and manners while keeping it clean.

The engine has ported head, Colt or Hamilton cam upgrade next (Stage 2). It has an equal length exhaust header. Intake side has Spool-aid setup as well as CR raised intake plate for greater intake plenum volume (that took some effort to install). Fueling wise it has Weson's worked over ~75hp injectors. Will be adding an Adrenalin soon.

Truck is Club Cab short box 2wd Auto, planning to change it to a 6-speed manual eventually.

I'm hoping to find a single turbo that will work great from the get-go...do it once and do it right. Reasonably good breathing with quick spoolup. I'm alright with spending a little more for something good.

Two of the more expensive ones I have in mind are the Turbonator that DPS offers, thinking around Stage 3 with T3 housing: Diesel Power Source. Turbonator VGT VNT S300 turbo

Another one that caught my eye is the Borg Warner EFR 8374. Dual ball bearing, integrated BOV and wastegates look like good features. It might be a bit large for a VP truck. I could drop down to the 7670.

I haven't seen much discussion about either turbo, maybe they are not all they're cracked up to be?

I am also thinking about cheaper options, like a S300 SX-E such as 63/68 with either 12 or 14 exhaust housing.

I'm thinking it's best to stick with a T3 housing (vs T4) on a VP truck, and besides I want to keep my cool exhaust header :D

If you're only looking for low-mid 400hp an HE351 would be a great quick spooling option. The EFR chargers are cool but pricey and unnecessary for what you're doing imo.

That would be a step in the wrong direction, considerably smaller than the Stage 3 Garrett I have now. I had one on the 2001 auto I had for a while and it worked nice for that truck because it only had RV 275 injectors.

I am also thinking about towing compounds but because of cost I would need a good set that can utilize an Inexpensive used turbo as the primary such as a HE351.

So what I’m gathering on all that is on your current charger with a 63-64mm inlet compressor, you aren’t making 400hp? Maybe that exhaust pulse eliminating “header” is keeping the available energy from driving that charger to its potential map or you are at 12,000ft elevation....

I made 408hp at firepunk with HE351CW, scheid 150hp injectors, and a smarty. Injectors are a bit on the dirty side, but drives/tows very well. If wanting to spend more money, I'd consider modding a 351, I'd start with the turbine side, but have seen as high as 67mm specs for molded 351.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've had great luck with EFR's when sized correctly. Pics of header please! As stated above, headers can rock when taking advantage of high rpm pulses but it sounds like that might not be what you are looking at doing however, I understand your wanting to keep it for the cool factor

So what I’m gathering on all that is on your current charger with a 63-64mm inlet compressor, you aren’t making 400hp? Maybe that exhaust pulse eliminating “header” is keeping the available energy from driving that charger to its potential map or you are at 12,000ft elevation....

This.

You already have a turbo that's sized well for your goals...

Finally getting back to this thread, been so busy!

So I have two gripes with my setup. . .EGTs run higher than they should when towing, and secondly I'm not a fan of the extra plumbing with the cooling. And the third thing is I want to do a power bump which I think will get to the outer limits of my Garrett.

So on paper the GT3788R should be an easy 500+ HP turbo, but back in the day a few guys running them they seemed to hit a brick wall around 500. The specs make it look like a good flowing turbo, and I have the HX40 outlet, but the map for this shows it flows quite a bit less than a S362SX-E.

When towing it runs over 1100F easy with 5000 lb trailer on not much of a grade at 2000-2300 RPM, low elevation. On steeper hills even under 65 mph it will run right up to and beyond 1200 if I don't watch it.

I have come across a couple issues lately though that may be part of my problem...I have one of those FTE resonators which I hear can cut power. I found a pretty good boost leak which I fixed but I may have another. And my VP44 may be dying.

Anyway I am also considering twins.

As for the header you can see it in this YouTube video, from 8yrs ago.. . 98 Cummins 24V Upgrades - YouTube

I took some more video the other day, will put it together and upload it in the next few days.

Last edited:
More thoughts, it could be the turbo is ailing too. I bought it used for cheap and have added another 100,000 miles to it.

My plan is to remove the resonator and sort out my VP44 issues, and make sure I have no boost leaks. Then see how it does towing. If it's still warm I am going to swap the mani to the 3-piece BD pulse I have laying around to see what that does.

Actually a few months ago I had the BD manifold on and a modified HX35 turbo because I thought about selling the truck. Spoolup was just a tad faster, but everything else especially full throttle was a total dog compared to the Garrett/header, major drop in power!

Go with a small set of compounds.
I had a 01 with bd towing compounds and it would rip.

Back