Twin CP3 Questions

BHaner

I have had my twin pumps installed for a few weeks now.. Got a few questions.

First, I see many people only running 10-20 PSI of lift fuel pressure... Why is that? Is there something bad that happens when you have more pressure? What is the best pressure to have mine set at?

Second, What electronics are people using? I have a smarty, Juice, and the MP-8. Oh, and a q-zilla boost fooler.

I think I read somewhere that the whole deal works better if I run the MP-8. Also, I think someone said that there was a special program that you can get for the MP-8 if you are running twin pumps. I sent mine in about 4 months ago and had them write the 07 5.9 program to it... Is this something I should look into?

For the Smarty, I have the latest TNTr program. What settings are people finding work the best? Leave the pressure off if I am running the Mp-8 I would guess?

Thanks for the help guys!

The extra pump sure did wake this thing up! So far, I have only used the juice with the new setup.. But DAMN! :ft:

Byron,

It seems that with twin CP3's a supply pressure over about 15psi and the rail pressure gets flakey at an idle. It doesn't seem to be a problem at higher rpm's but at an idle it can be.

I am just running the TNT/R Smarty. You can adjust the rail pressure on the TNT (as you said), but some people like to be able to adjust it on the fly. If you have the TNT/R, try setting the wastegate option off, and then removing the boost fooler. Mine works the best that way, and I haven't had a problem with setting codes.

My TNT/R settings right now for daily driving are:
Level #7
RPM #1 - 4000 RPM
Shift Limiter #1 - Off (who needs the indicator light anyway!?!)
Torque Management #3
Timing - #3
Rail pressure #0
Wastegate #1 - Off

Hope this helps!
Paul

I have had my twin pumps installed for a few weeks now.. Got a few questions.

First, I see many people only running 10-20 PSI of lift fuel pressure... Why is that? Is there something bad that happens when you have more pressure? What is the best pressure to have mine set at?

Second, What electronics are people using? I have a smarty, Juice, and the MP-8. Oh, and a q-zilla boost fooler.

I think I read somewhere that the whole deal works better if I run the MP-8. Also, I think someone said that there was a special program that you can get for the MP-8 if you are running twin pumps. I sent mine in about 4 months ago and had them write the 07 5.9 program to it... Is this something I should look into?

For the Smarty, I have the latest TNTr program. What settings are people finding work the best? Leave the pressure off if I am running the Mp-8 I would guess?

Thanks for the help guys!

The extra pump sure did wake this thing up! So far, I have only used the juice with the new setup.. But DAMN! :ft:

The pump psi depends on who's dual electronics you're running. PPE's box only allows very low psi. ATS on the other hand allows for more psi.

Our trucks really don't even need a lift pump as they work on suction. Dmax's don't have lift pumps. You can always try to increase the psi and you'll know if you gone too high. The truck will spit and sputter... it won't like it. I have PPE duals and I can only run 12psi. Any higher and it doesn't like it. Low psi is ok as long as you're not running out of psi.

As far electronics... you don't need the Quad boost fooler. The MP-8 will do it. That stack with the Smarty is really all you need. Don't stack the Smarty with the Juice though.

What setting to use on the Smarty is a trail and error on your part. Most trucks react differently so you just need to try out different settings.

Yes, if you have the MP-8 on, there's no need to run high pressure on the Smarty. Again, you just have to see what works.

The pump psi depends on who's dual electronics you're running. PPE's box only allows very low psi. ATS on the other hand allows for more psi.

Our trucks really don't even need a lift pump as they work on suction. Dmax's don't have lift pumps. You can always try to increase the psi and you'll know if you gone too high. The truck will spit and sputter... it won't like it. I have PPE duals and I can only run 12psi. Any higher and it doesn't like it. Low psi is ok as long as you're not running out of psi.

I am running 55 PSI now... With the Evil Twin Kit.

I didn't notice any side effects, but I was wondering if it is better below 20.

I started having surging about three weeks before I put the twin pump on. I haven't figured out what is doing it yet. Still does it with the second pump.
Worst with the Juice on, but I can still feel it just a little with the Smarty.

My guess is my jacked up cam position sensor. Or maybe the FCA on my first pump.

As far electronics... you don't need the Quad boost fooler. The MP-8 will do it. That stack with the Smarty is really all you need. Don't stack the Smarty with the Juice though.

Not true... Well, at least with the Beta 4.4 Smarty(have not tried with the revo) and MP-8.

Without the boost fooler I was setting a code and going into limp mode for overboost.

I will try it without the boost fooler with the new smarty sw and see what happens.

Not true... Well, at least with the Beta 4.4 Smarty(have not tried with the revo) and MP-8.

Without the boost fooler I was setting a code and going into limp mode for overboost.

I will try it without the boost fooler with the new smarty sw and see what happens.

With the TNT/R version I can make 75psi without setting a code, and no boost fooler.

Paul

You have to turn up the MP-8. According to TS, it should fool at any % but, mine will only do it above 40%. I've ran every Smarty software there is and unless you have a fooler of some kind, it will set codes going above 40psi +/-

The older trucks may be different though.

I am running 55 PSI now... With the Evil Twin Kit.

I didn't notice any side effects, but I was wondering if it is better below 20.

I started having surging about three weeks before I put the twin pump on. I haven't figured out what is doing it yet. Still does it with the second pump.
Worst with the Juice on, but I can still feel it just a little with the Smarty.

My guess is my jacked up cam position sensor. Or maybe the FCA on my first pump.

I would turn down the psi before replacing CPS's or FCA's.

You will experience some surge with pressure higher than 25-30 psi, especially when you come off the pedal. Mine would romp and the rr's would seem to hang before they would come down. I run 22-25 psi and all is fine.

Our trucks really don't even need a lift pump as they work on suction. Dmax's don't have lift pumps.

so why don't dodges need lift pumps again??

if I don't let my lift pump prime for a few seconds, my CR is REALLY hard to start... :eek:

exactly.....thats why i want to know Ty's reasoning. I know duramaxes aren't as dependent on lift pumps when modded since the dmax cp3 does have suction....

but I can also tell a big difference in power with my dmax if the fuel tank is say.....3/4 compared less than an 1/8 full

yeah, I'll get rail drain popping w/ the TST on 4 if I've got 1/4 tank or less... half or more and I can run TST on 4

so why don't dodges need lift pumps again??

I could have worded that differently, yes they need one but...

Why do you think the stock psi is so low. It doesn't need a lot. The Dmax pump is a Bosch pump just like the Cummins. Why doesn't the Dmax need one? I would imagine if the electronics were set a little differently, the Dodge could run without one.... not well but, it could.

yeah, I'll get rail drain popping w/ the TST on 4 if I've got 1/4 tank or less... half or more and I can run TST on 4

uh huh, tell me about it. When i ran a FASS on my 05, it would occasionally die at 1/4 tank at idle....and run like crap til i filled it up.

Back