Twin Opinions

700 sportsman

Hey guys so I'm in the process of installing my twin setup. FIrst some background/parts info.

Parts: DAP 5x.016 injectors, fresh rebuilt HTT 62/65/12 with a stainless diesel spring style wastegate, brand new BHT3B with 23cm housing, 3 piece DPS manifold. The motor is a 1990 but is in my '96 GMC, and I have all supporting mods done (clutch, fuel system, studs, etc.) I am in in the fabrication process right now hoping to finalize the hot pipe tomorrow, but have yet to install an intercooler. I am planning to run a second gen intercooler, but with the size of them I will have to do ALOT of modification to the radiator support and parking lights also. So with that being said I am comfortably running about 340hp and good pressure and about 1500* on long WOT runs so would it be foolish to just build a crossover pipe and take on the intercooler later or just add watermeth and avoid the hassle of the cooler all together? Also any other tips, hints, tricks for tuning in the setup would be appreciated.

Tyler

There was a company that made inter coolers for the 6.5 Chevy the fit under the radiator behind the bumper you might wanna try to find one of those.

Ponci's daughter's truck just went 11's with no intercooler, and I think she sees less than 1500 at the end of a quarter mile. Twins move a lot of air! Make sure to keep an eye on engine temps though.

attachment.php

I had seen that picture before and that really helped me decide on going without an intercooler for now. I have made a good bit of progress and will have some pictures up tommorrow. I have the hot pipe fabbed up, coated and wrapped, all the piping and boots are here or on there way. Just need to fab the cold pipe and weld a bung for the primary drain into the oil pan. I'm really happy with how things are all fitting together despite some of my initial concerns.

Out of curiosity what do you think I should run for timing to keep a good balance of egts and boost pressure? I'm thinking of just bumping to the head and see how it runs there before I go skipping a tooth?

I would just skip a tooth...it'll spool slower, but it's nasty when it hits with that much timing.

Bump it to the head and run a hot wire on a swich to your ksb. When imwas running ddp3s I noticed a nice jump from 295/598, to 330/660. Just from the ksb being energized.
I currently run a tooth advanced, with the the pump in the middle of it's adjusemt slots
(my timing marks are not correct). This isn't bad, and I feel I could still tow like this. After a while a guy gets used to the rattle, to the point you don't know it's there.

Thanks for the input on the timing guys, I'll probably try a few different things. I wouldn't be opposed to a little slower spool with a harder hit. Without water meth for now what would you guys say I would be in the neighborhood of horsepower wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

e6y7azyn.jpg

Here's a picture as I was welding up the hot pipe.
a3ydejeh.jpg

All coated and header wrapped
ypanunet.jpg

Mocked in place showing firewall clearance

dyty4e5e.jpg

Most recent mock up picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back