Twin Turbos-Need some help deciding

Twoforme2

I am in a quandry right now guys, and thought maybe the vast experience here could help me a bit.

I want a truck that is reliable and functional, quick stoplight to stoplight without smoking out intersections. I would like to maintain the ability to hook up to a trailer once in a while (maybe once or twice a year, at about 8k lbs). It would be a kick to put it down the track in low to mid 12's as well (maybe even 11's, but not fast enough to have to put in a roll cage). Not interested in a full drag truck cause it is still kind of the "family cruiser" on the weekends when I am home. I know I ain't askin for much....right?

I have built tranny, Raptor 150, installed intake and exhaust manifolds, running a 62/71/13ss turbo, have ARP 625's, Opie Bypass, valvesprings, pushrods, Industrial 85% CP3 and Flux 1 injectors, Smarty and EZ.
It layed down 550HP before the CP3.

So the decision comes down to run the 62/71 with a S475, Use the stock turbo in a set of twins, or scrap both turbos and go to a 62/65 or 62/64 in a set of twins.

I don't think I want to go to the s480, as I believe it will lose some driveability around town.

So what do you guys think? and will I need to increase injector size no matter what I do?

Hopefully you guys can help me out with this.

Put a S400 under your current turbo with some flux3 s. Great spool,sound,drivability. Upgrade when you get over that family hauler thing.

I have 4.3's and Imy truck is capable of all you mentioned other than drag racing due to the 6-speed. Thats gonna change. 4.3's are very streetble even with lowered compression

I would use the 62/71/13ss you have and use the s475 with it. Then upgrade to some flux 3's and I think you will have the best of all worlds you described.

Joe

Source Auto has a nice 2/3 kit that will utilize what you already have.

I Installed the full source kit on my truck last week -- fit and finish is second to none! Source Automotive Performance Diesel

The 85% pump is super nice for a single. It's good to about a flux 3 which will be nice on the street without too much smoke. Browns Diesel is usually the fastest as far as turn around time on flux injectors.

The other mods you have already should be perfect for the direction you're headed.

I understand the need for larger injectors to help create heat for quicker spool.
Will the Flux 3's create a smoke belching monster until the Turbo's are spooled, or is it very easily manageable with programming and the right foot?
Would the 62/71 over S475 not work well with the Flux 1's OR would there actually be more smoke with the smaller injectors because it does not spool soon enough? Is that even possible?

That combo would work very well. 4.3's on stock SW will only throw a puff of smoke. Absolutley no coal even if you lug it.

FWIW, my flux 3's were very clean. I could smoke if I wanted, but never had to drive around them.

you can run the 62/71/13ss over a k-31 and it would still be very street able and enough air to get into the 12's i'm running 13.14 right now with a htt 61/71/14 with ddp 120's

I understand the need for larger injectors to help create heat for quicker spool.
Will the Flux 3's create a smoke belching monster until the Turbo's are spooled, or is it very easily manageable with programming and the right foot?
Would the 62/71 over S475 not work well with the Flux 1's OR would there actually be more smoke with the smaller injectors because it does not spool soon enough? Is that even possible?

Your foot will control the smoke. As long as you arent smashing the pedal to the floor without boost, you ll be fine.

I think Big Swole went with 3.4's and he wished he would have went bigger, since they were so clean IIRC.

I also vote for the 62 you have over a s475, im a little biased though.

Back