twins and timing setup for 440 ccs

TxDiesel007

Uncommon CR problemed
Buildin up my 12 valve a bit

and what better place to start than here, Just lookin for opinions on the following sets of twins for my ride. For others of you that have had the following sets please feel free to assist me in my choices ..

for now trucks goin for 600-650 rwhp, 440 ccs, etc etc etc from DPE tuning, with the fuel all pulled back, (for now to drive with just an HX35 and some timing) future plans include an airdog will be added as well, and truck will probably be tuned to the turbo selection by either hellman, or hamilton, not sure yet

lookin at three sets mainly, just trying to figure out which one to hold out for...

Super B S300G over a T6 S475 1.10 housing

64/14 over T6 S475 1.10 housing

62/68/12 and a 75/small turbine/1.20ish s400, a bit older school, but seems to work ok

Injectors, im looking at 5x.016s from smokem, headwork to be done shortly after install of twins and injectors.. looking at a 10 over gasket and ARP studs, either hellman or hamilton to do the work.. Have not really considered a cam yet, but that is a possibility as well...

and timing? i was thinking 18 degrees or so so to start.. seeing as i will have a completely pulled back fuel pump on the truck until minds made up...

bottom line is, which setup wil be best to attain my goals, and keep drive line pressures as close to a 1to1 as possible

thanks for the help...

Rick

Last edited:
20 on the timing, and what ever you can get a deal on the turbos. Any of them should work.

If you're driving it everyday, my vote is for the smallest secondary, which would be the S300G with the 475. Keep the bottom end power there. I loved my 64/71, but I don't think its the right match for a 75mm turbo. 95mm, yes.

440cc is a bit much for what you're going for....

440cc is a bit much for what you're going for....

It might be too much but not everyone's truck will make 1.5hp or even 1.3hp per cc so a little extra will help him get there.

I would go with the s300g and 475 1.10 combo. Talk about quick spool!, drove a truck a while back with a super hx40 16cm over a 475 1.32 and that sucker flat spooled, I barely had my foot a quarter in it and I could get the primary to light and 32lbs of boost! Quick spool with be massive fun, and not to mention a pleasure to drive.

It might be too much but not everyone's truck will make 1.5hp or even 1.3hp per cc so a little extra will help him get there.

This..

typically this is my luck, so i would rather have it and not need it, than vice versa... if i have the fuel, and the air, the rest with a good tuner should fall into place..

JQ, while at 1.5 hp per cc, id be at 650 or so, id settle for 600 rwhp with a maxed small pump, which would be at right about 1.3 horses per cc...

either ways i can add fuel with bigger dvs, or no plate, and see what it does, or pull it back if its too much..

thanks for opinions guys

Idk about joe but zach is usualy to busy to work on trucks, I would call both shops and see. As far as twins go I'd do the s300g over the s475 with the 92mm turbine and a 1.10 housing.

point taken from above post..

looking at your location, perhaps micheal would be an option as well.. incentive to do my headwork, and tune the truck, two in one equals $$$

My pump was benched at 440cc with 024 DV's, no plate, rack plug, modded AFC and 4K GSK. Running 20* timing with SDX 5x.014 injectors cleaned up to a haze with my HE351/S475 twins. I'm stepping up to a S363/S480 set shortly.

Idk about joe but zach is usualy to busy to work on trucks, I would call both shops and see. As far as twins go I'd do the s300g over the s475 with the 92mm turbine and a 1.10 housing.

Which s400 has a 92mm ex wheel? I know of a 96mm 1.32a/r?

I'm looking to build a set for my 97 auto with II 62/65-12.. S400/S475 two turbos to make one deal (couldn't buy them back then).. 75mm wheel and cover on a smaller S400 turbo with 83/74 exhaust wheel T6 1.10 housing 5" outlet cut off and welded on a HX-40 Flange??

Thanks!

My pump was benched at 440cc with 024 DV's, no plate, rack plug, modded AFC and 4K GSK. Running 20* timing with SDX 5x.014 injectors cleaned up to a haze with my HE351/S475 twins. I'm stepping up to a S363/S480 set shortly.

Same fuel setup setup but 022DVs and 460cc's of fuel on a 180 pump with a 362-65/475 twin set. I can turn the smoke to moderate grey but still billowing smoke at WOT. Never get a chance to run it WOT through 5th gear though do to speed but I could probably make the smoke a light grey fog bank at that point. Timing is around 17* currently and I have a set of 024DVs to try when I get time.

Last edited:
That is a pretty simple setup, I agree on the smaller primary but also on less injector, 5x14 would be a bit more street friendly. My 98 had a benched 215 that flowed around that area, stock 181 dv's and a Silver 66. Dyno'd at 600 with 370's then stepped up to 5x14 (DDP 4's) for more power and less EGT's, so say less than 650.

Jim

Same fuel setup setup but 022DVs and 460cc's of fuel on a 180 pump with a 362-65/475 twin set. I can turn the smoke to moderate grey but still billowing smoke at WOT. Never get a chance to run it WOT through 5th gear though do to speed but I could probably make the smoke a light grey fog bank at that point. Timing is around 17* currently and I have a set of 024DVs to try when I get time.

i will have a plate

and im doing this with 191 dvs and a 4K kit, i dont want to bellow out smoke, i just want to have and tune the fuel for the twins i am trying to decide on.. my smoking days are done, just want the minimal smoke possible to reach my goals

That is a pretty simple setup, I agree on the smaller primary but also on less injector, 5x14 would be a bit more street friendly. My 98 had a benched 215 that flowed around that area, stock 181 dv's and a Silver 66. Dyno'd at 600 with 370's then stepped up to 5x14 (DDP 4's) for more power and less EGT's, so say less than 650.

Jim

Im trying the KISS principle for this...

im leaning towards the S300 over the 475 so long as it seems to be the most logical choice... what was your timing in your set up?

i will have a plate

and im doing this with 191 dvs and a 4K kit, i dont want to bellow out smoke, i just want to have and tune the fuel for the twins i am trying to decide on.. my smoking days are done, just want the minimal smoke possible to reach my goals

i am at the same place as you but have been slow to dial the pump in because of some other issues. For now I went with a 215 gov spring in the AFC and smoke is basically gone under all driving conditions except for a hard low RPM lug or WOT. I am going to install some 024DV's then start over on dialing everything back in as I believe that the 022's are costing me some power as I try to clean the pipe up. To much late injection is my theory. Pump calibration fell behind after the cam gear walked off and knocked the rear plug out and loosing the the valve seals. I got BSing with Zack and forgot to order the retainer when I bought the cam. Didn't even think about it till the truck was torn down so I went back without it. Bad decision:bang I hate rework!

Back