U-joint or hub?

rnemovr

Lost in the sauce
06 QCLB 4x4. Was on the way home this morning and started hearing a noise that sounded like mice in an aluminum cooking pan. I was able to narrow the sound to the drivers front and it is speed sensitivite. I got home and crawled under the truck thinking it was u-joints and grabed the axle shaft to check for play. The end caps were very hot but there was no play. If it is the U-joints I was thinking Spicer 5006813 but if hub assy I have no idea.

If the hub area is warm, I would bet its the unit bearings

Wasn't brake caliper. Is there anyway I can check the bearing?

From a location known only by the government.

Jack up the truck and wiggle the tire. If it flops around check ball joints. If they're tight then the slop should be in the hub. If everything feels tight try spinning it and listening for any noise.

Sounds good, I am really hoping for U-Joint, but since money is tight it will be the hub.

Anti-seize or grease is your best friend should you ever need to pull it apart again in the future.

To check play;

Unit bearing/ball joints: lift wheel off ground, use pry bar under tire to pry up.

Axle u joint: use pry bar between end cap/yoke and axle. Pry up.

You'll find movement quick if anything is out of wack.

Anti-seize or grease is your best friend should you ever need to pull it apart again in the future.

Hope the tub I have is enough LOL. I have thought about using that on the gas cap on the Jeep beforeLOL

If it is the unit bearing, what brand should I replace it with?

I know a lot of people say the Timkens are great but I'm a bit of a purist and I just go with genuine Mopar on just about everything I fix. Also be careful of buying parts over the counter from Mopar and them giving you their "value line" brand. Its cheaper and usually comes in a white box. 99% it's China made and does not come from the OEM supplier. It's Chryslers attempt to compete with prices from places like Autozone and Parts America.

Jacked it up today, It is the hub. Any of the dealers on here able to compete with the $150~ timken price?

I doubt it. I think my discounted price from the local Dodge dealer was $199 per side. So I would say that's a pretty good price.

Jacked it up today, It is the hub. Any of the dealers on here able to compete with the $150~ timken price?

Go ahead and swap out axle u joint. It's only another $25 per side. Well worth it to just do it while its apart.

Go ahead and swap out axle u joint. It's only another $25 per side. Well worth it to just do it while its apart.

Where did you find a Spicer for $25?

That's because precision are complete trash. If you don't want to spring for the spicers. AAMs are a bit cheaper. Both in cost and quality.

I have both flavors in stock if you don't have a good local source.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
That's because precision are complete trash. If you don't want to spring for the spicers. AAMs are a bit cheaper. Both in cost and quality.

I have both flavors in stock if you don't have a good local source.

I found Spicer 5006813 local for $60. Got the hub today from rock auto for $142 shipped.

I found Spicer 5006813 local for $60. Got the hub today from rock auto for $142 shipped.

Support your local guy, If your local guy sucks, this local guy will be happy to try and set you up :D

Back