U-joint question

DIESELGUY84

Bracket Racer
I need to replace the U-joints in the front drive shaft on my '94. My 60' times are low 1.8xx- high 1.7xx, launching in 4 wheel drive. My question is, would greasable u-joints hold up for me, or should I find the sealed u-joints? (ones without lubrication holes drilled through the cross)

P.S. I did search this, and found nothing. :lolly:

Dana/Spicer Heavy Duty U-joints, non greaseable gets my vote.

Lavon

the non greaseable cold forged spicer one's are going to be the stronger ones to use, unless you go aftermarket and find aftermarket u-joints, not sure if they are even avaliable?...

Dana/Spicer Heavy Duty U-joints, non greaseable gets my vote.

Lavon

Same for me. Red seal ones.

One thing you don't normally see mentioned is that the seals on the non-greaseable joints seal much tighter then the seals on the others. Seals on greaseable joints must vent, when being greased. This makes them more prone to getting moisture and dirt into the joint.

Paul

Thanks! Would these heavy duty u-joints be available at an auto parts store, or am I only going to find these at a driveline shop?

I get them from our local driveline shop but never checked at the auto parts store.

Need to dump these zerk joints for some sealed ones. I have gone through say 4 O'Reilly joints.

Thanks again! There's a few Driveline shops around, and a 4wheel parts store, I'll do some shopping.
I hear the CTM joints are sweet, Seems they only make u-joints for the axle shafts though, not the drive shaft? Either way they're out of my price range!

The Spicer u-joints I used were: 5-811X (axle end) and 5-790X (t-case end, two of 'em) and both are the sealed kind, figured I'd post the P.N.'s

Back