Ugh! Freakin electronics...

Chris Mallett

12ver Swap Idiot
Ok, lets start at the beginning. Traded my 05 qclb dually for an 07 mega dually. During the trade we negotiated a stretch for a longbed. Since I received the truck I have chased wiring gremlins. On the drive home, the ABS and brake light popped on and has not went off. Also on the drive home the right side park lights (tail and hip/fender) went out, and I verified all of the lights worked before I left. The reverse lights were not working but I blamed them on the linkage being out of whack. Fast forward to now, I have adjusted trans linkage and it never fixed the lights, I have checked and replaced bad bulbs with no luck, I still have no power to the right side parks, I swapped the ABS sensor and it still throws an active code, the 4x4 has to be operated into low before switching to high range and will not shift from 4H to 2H or vise versa.

This week I have an issue with the right brake light not coming on and the signal is being fed into the reverse light vaguely. This is also affecting the right signal light. I have checked wiring through the harness and found nothing wrong. What am I missing here?

Completely irrelevant possibly, but the back right door is not responding every time the other doors unlock. Anyone have a clue of my issue? Thanks in advance.

can you swap in a known-good TIPM? it's been my experience that you need an 07 TIPM. I smoked an 06 TIPM trying it on an 07 :eek: LOL

I would bet they have the rear harness wires mixed up. There are like 2 white wires with yellow stripes and 2 or 3 wires that are white with light green and even some with white with dark green. They all look the same if not looking close. Really doesn't explain how everything did work though.

I had a similar problem with the lights when I had a truck that the t case exploded cuting all the wires

No...look at the wires in the rubber that goes from your door to the truck body for you problem there.The wires will some how get cut and or pinched.

You must be speaking of the door lock Jason.

Yea,I had trouble with mine.Same door but my problem was the window function up and down.Pulled the rubber back and found the problem,it may or may not be your problem.

I have a bad tipm on mine,everything works but the back up lights.Some have said you can have the tipm flashed one time after that your stuck buying a new one.Those from my dealer are $700 plus install,forrest has way more knowledge in the tipm then I do tho so maybe he can clear something's up.

Last edited:
If you pull your TIPM and google search the PN, there are online vendors that sell NOS/superceded Dodge parts. I think we found one for my buddy's 06 for like $550

If you pull your TIPM and google search the PN, there are online vendors that sell NOS/superceded Dodge parts. I think we found one for my buddy's 06 for like $550

Does it need to be programmed or anything like that once it is in the truck ?

I'm going to assume they cut your harness to extend it.

I'd recommend you check the wires from the module to their ending point (the bulb socket).

They would have had to extend the wiring harness, and I suspect they didn't strip, clean, solder, and shrink wrap the extended portion properly. They would have most likely cut the harness and so technically you'll have two splices in each wire.

Time to break out the multimeter.

You are correct, there are 2 splices and a 20" extension, but they are soldered and shink wrapped. I have cut them open and it all looked good without a very detailed look. I was looking for something broken.

You are correct, there are 2 splices and a 20" extension, but they are soldered and shink wrapped. I have cut them open and it all looked good without a very detailed look. I was looking for something broken.

My money is still on the wiring. It's like this right color wrong wire. Make sense?

You need to ohm each wire, one by one. Unhook the electrical connectors in the rear at all the sockets etc and then the main plug up front.

Use a pinout diagram to know which pin at the front of the harness corresponds to each given socket.
Test for resistance between the two points. After that you've eliminated the spice job. and your rear harness from being the problem.

Then you move further forward.

i have no brake lights either. i will flash the tipm first before buying one from dorman.

ill let you guys know if its a temporary fix or a no go.

-marcus

Thanks guys, I have thought about finding a rear harness that is cut long enough to tie into the truck harness with only one splice. I will tear into the harness asap.

The abs/park brake light and the 4lo then 4hi issue is the same issue. It has to do with the sensor needing replaced in the rear diff. I had the same issue before on my stock truck. It is either the sensor itself or that little pigtail that comes off it. I bought both, but the sensor did it.

I kinda thought about that, no signal to the ECM of how fast the rear was spinning not allowing it to process and shift. Thanks for the tip.

Back