Unconventional triple turbo configuration

One look at the mammoth amount of time, money, and design put into this project would tell me that he's not winging it. But from a builder's standpoint, it is nice when everybody questions a setup before they see it run like a raped ape

Just because there are guys thinking out loud, and trying to figure out the concept here, does NOT mean they are picking it apart or nay-saying the setup. I didn't get that vibe from reading the comments. More like a discussion is how I took it.

:clap:

The gap between more and enough never changes.

Just because there are guys thinking out loud, and trying to figure out the concept here, does NOT mean they are picking it apart or nay-saying the setup. I didn't get that vibe from reading the comments. More like a discussion is how I took it.

Yep.

I hope it works and we learn something new, I don't know how it can, but I don't claim to know everything. But I do enjoy the discussion.

coming along

Down to all the miscellaneous and nit picky stuff. Slowly gathering things for the fuel system and such. I don't take anyones comments as negative at all. This is a big learning experience and a very good discussion. I'll try to keep updates coming

Attachments

• triples.jpg
    triples.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
Thats awesome fab work. Whats the HP goal?

I know some of the big power guys run the primary on the manifold and secondary after it. for instance Cumminalong did that on his drag truck with monster compounds but the bigger turbo is on the manifold.

Seems to light off ok :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOpv96EBJ_A

Last edited:
Cumminalong never ran the twins from what I gathered. He split them up and put one on their car and kept the other on the truck. Sucks that he got tight lipped about it after one of the mods over there got pissed at him for sharing his knowledge :bang

Down to all the miscellaneous and nit picky stuff. Slowly gathering things for the fuel system and such. I don't take anyones comments as negative at all. This is a big learning experience and a very good discussion. I'll try to keep updates coming

Glad to hear your not offended by our discussion. Also glad to see progress being made on your setup, it does look very sweet! please do keep updating us and I can't wait to hear the results. Do you plan on data logging and if so what all will you log?

Truck got a stock engine and sold... Built engine ended up having some problems and got parted, as did the turbos. Not sure what happened to the plumbing? Was pretty sad I really wanted to see what this setup would/could do.

I went into this thread thinking that the setup didn't make sense, at least in terms of pressure differential (Heat mentioned above is just a driver in pressure differential, it does matter where the housings are placed to produce the correct differential to produce the desired airflow, but it was mentioned earlier) and it still might not... However, wrapping your head around it in a different manner, it might... If you look at the engine just running the 2 primaries as parallel twins, and don't take into account the GT55, you would have a very efficient set of turbos (more efficient than a traditional set of compounds), but due to the nature of a single stage, you are limited by your map. If you inserted the GT55 in the mix after the GT42's, and sized it properly to capture any excess energy (Using heat to create the differential), you could theoretically expand the map using almost no excess energy... So in otherwords, you aren't really compounding anything, you are just using the GT55 to widen the map of a single stage turbo setup by putting the turbos in their sweet spot for a longer amount of time, simply by playing with differentials....

(Scratches head...)

Kinda makes sense I guess??

Last edited:
I went into this thread thinking that the setup didn't make sense, at least in terms of pressure differential (Heat mentioned above is just a driver in pressure differential, it does matter where the housings are placed to produce the correct differential to produce the desired airflow, but it was mentioned earlier) and it still might not... However, wrapping your head around it in a different manner, it might... If you look at the engine just running the 2 primaries as parallel twins, and don't take into account the GT55, you would have a very efficient set of turbos (more efficient than a traditional set of compounds), but due to the nature of a single stage, you are limited by your map. If you inserted the GT55 in the mix after the GT42's, and sized it properly to capture any excess energy (Using heat to create the differential), you could theoretically expand the map using almost no excess energy... So in otherwords, you aren't really compounding anything, you are just using the GT55 to widen the map of a single stage turbo setup by putting the turbos in their sweet spot for a longer amount of time, simply by playing with differentials....

(Scratches head...)

Kinda makes sense I guess??

It's not a turbo/turbo combo, but I think that's basically how Banks first supercharged/turbocharged Duramax was set up. Blower got things moving down low and provided boost off idle, which not only made power but spooled the turbos even sooner. Up top, it was matched to flow about the same as the turbos, so it would basically be freewheeling and not drawing much power.

That kind of the same theory, only with turbos?

Cool idea. Hoping to see it happen sooner vs later. Were all still learning the turbo game every day. Absorb+proccess=apply!. Thats always been my steps. Wishing good luck to all in the diesel industry for taking a step outside of the box.

well said Brad. As turbo/cylinder head technology advances, as I hope it always does, there will always be different setups to try out. Nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box.

well said Brad. As turbo/cylinder head technology advances, as I hope it always does, there will always be different setups to try out. Nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box.

Everything was tried out by doctor Büchi about 100 years ago, you cant find out anything new because laws of gasses dont change. Read the books so you dont have to waste your time and money.

Everything was tried out by doctor Büchi about 100 years ago, you cant find out anything new because laws of gasses dont change. Read the books so you dont have to waste your time and money.

You are correct about the laws of gasses but turbochargers are changing day by day with new advances. Let alone the wastegate advances/controls and ideas from fellow diesel gearheads as well as the gas world gearheads. If one thinks a book has all the answers. The same one needs to open there eyes before there past up or there time passes.

Back