Unit Bearing Time?

D45

ABS and Brake Lights came on tonight...... occasional and intermittent squeal coming from the front end.

The truck seemed to need more pedal to accelerate. Pulled over and the passenger side front hub area was very hot.

What's the likelihood its the hub bearings?

98,500 miles

Hub bearing. I would do axle u-joint while your there.
Timken bearing and Dana Spicer joint.

Sent from my fphone

Hub bearing. If it was me i'd do both sides and axle u-joint while your there.
I can't tell you how many times i've only done one side and a month or less later the other side haunted me.
I drive a lot and can't afford service shop prices when i'm traveling.
Timken bearing and Dana Spicer joint.

Sent from my fphone

Sent from my fphone

should I jack up the tire and turn it with my hand to see how it sounds and feels?

You can try and push/pull on the top of tire as well.

Sent from my fphone

I replace my hubs as prevenative maintenace now. Both of my hubs went out within 100 miles of each other when my sister was driving my truck while I was deployed. Do em both and the axle shaft u joints.

Wouldn't a stuck caliper cause the truck to pull bad?

If it is indeed the hub bearings I will for sure replace both sides at the same time, and the axle ujoints......maybe ball joints too

If it is indeed the hub bearings I will for sure replace both sides at the same time, and the axle ujoints......maybe ball joints too

Thats what i do, one big headache instead of a few.
Look up the power steering method when popping out the bearings, can save hours!

Sent from my fphone

Sounds like a good plan right there. I did the same on mine. Bearings, ball joints, and 08+ steering. Surprisingly my u-joints were perfect at 100k. You might be OK but it's never bad practice to take care of it all.
Start soaking things with a penetrating oil a week ahead of time. It made a huge difference when I did mine.

I replaced a hub on my 01 at 100k miles and the passenger one lasted until 210k miles.

If you have the ABS and Brake lights on you have a failed hub assembly.
There is a "chance" the sensor went bad but I doubt it.
There is also a possibility that you have a stuck caliper but,if that was the case you would not have the warning lights on the dash.I just had the same issues with my daily driver 2003 truck and it was a left front hub.It was pulling to the left and the warning lights would come on intermittently.Replaced both front hubs and axle joits and all has been good ever since.....Andy

Sounds like a good excuse for a free-spin hub conversion.

--Eric

The only down side I've seen when converting to locking hubs, you have to have some decent offset in your wheels to protect the hub that sticks way out there. With stock wheels it looks hideous and it's unprotected.

The only down side I've seen when converting to locking hubs, you have to have some decent offset in your wheels to protect the hub that sticks way out there. With stock wheels it looks hideous and it's unprotected.

There are a few more options now, i believe the Dynatrac ones fit well within the wheel width but the less expensive ones do stick out like a sore thumb.
Unless you put some serious miles on the truck and plan on keeping it for another five years the money to savings ratio is not worth it.

Sent from my fphone

Drove it two miles and had to pull over.....called for a flatbed wrecker

Loud popping and grinding and the hub was smelling very hot

There are a few more options now, i believe the Dynatrac ones fit well within the wheel width but the less expensive ones do stick out like a sore thumb.
Unless you put some serious miles on the truck and plan on keeping it for another five years the money to savings ratio is not worth it.

Sent from my fphone

I agree with you here. You seriously won't see the return unless you log some serious miles each year. And for most of us on here, replacing the hub bearing is the best route.

Not to rob the thread from the OP. But what brand hub bearing is everyone using? Pricing?

Passenger side hub is shot and has a ton of play

Driver side hub is still tight, but will be replaced

Driver side upper and lower ball joints has play

Passenger side ball joints are tight, but will be replaced

Axle u-joints are fine....they were replaced at about 60,000 miles under warranty

Back