Update on engine rebuild.

i can name a dozen that i personally know making over 430 with stock turbo/sticks ... and i'm sure there are MANY more out there !!

Well, I have a set of Cunningham rods coming. (A big thank you to 03BlackWidow)
Block measured very good, and I found a complete set of pistons, rings, and pins for $220.00 off E-bay. (Brand NEW!!) ****Ford wants $250.00 per piston**** My gosh...$2000.00 for a set of lousy pistons....:bang

Also got a set of Chro-moly pushrods coming.

Valve Springs, I found something that would prolly work, but my wife not only cut the money tree down...she dug it up, and transplanted it somewhere else...Mexico, I think...:hehe:

I am still waiting for the heads to be done. They are getting stellite seats installed in all the exhausts, new guides-Brass liners, a slight increase in seating pressure, 3 angle valve job on valve, and seats, and a fresh trim off the bottom.:woohoo:

The shop doing the work does not want to touch the assembly for balancing, they are going to send it out to get done. (I'm glad they told me that they are not comfortable doing it, instead of doing it, and screwing something up.):rules:

All the bearings are coming from International, as well as most of the gaskets. (The bottom gaskets have to come from Ford, because International uses a different oil pan on the VT-365.)

I'm at work till the 15th now, and can't do anything...Then when I get home, the wife and I are off to Mexico for a week. (I have to keep her happy too you know...):bow:

Valve Springs, I found something that would prolly work, but my wife not only cut the money tree down...she dug it up, and transplanted it somewhere else...Mexico, I think...:hehe:

I'm at work till the 15th now, and can't do anything...Then when I get home, the wife and I are off to Mexico for a week. (I have to keep her happy too you know...):bow:

Does that mean that you will be bringing the money tree back with you when you return from Mexico? :hehe:

are you going to have those bearings coated before putting them in ??
and might as well get those pistons ceramic coated while you're at it too :)

Well, I have a set of Cunningham rods coming. (A big thank you to 03BlackWidow)
Block measured very good, and I found a complete set of pistons, rings, and pins for $220.00 off E-bay. (Brand NEW!!) ****Ford wants $250.00 per piston**** My gosh...$2000.00 for a set of lousy pistons....:bang

Also got a set of Chro-moly pushrods coming.

I am still waiting for the heads to be done. They are getting stellite seats installed in all the exhausts, new guides-Brass liners, a slight increase in seating pressure, 3 angle valve job on valve, and seats, and a fresh trim off the bottom.:woohoo:

The shop doing the work does not want to touch the assembly for balancing, they are going to send it out to get done. (I'm glad they told me that they are not comfortable doing it, instead of doing it, and screwing something up.):rules:

All the bearings are coming from International, as well as most of the gaskets. (The bottom gaskets have to come from Ford, because International uses a different oil pan on the VT-365.)

Long time no talk buddyLOL

Ivan...I have been following your build and I hope everything works out ESPECIALLY considering what you've been put through over the past year:Cheer:

Keep us posted and enjoy your trip!!!!

are you going to have those bearings coated before putting them in ??
and might as well get those pistons ceramic coated while you're at it too :)

I was thinking about it, but for having a tuner on the poor 'ol girl for all but 1500 miles out of the over 110000, the bearings look brand new. (I have been using Amsoil Series 3000) So, to spend the extra on the coatings right now...I don't think I will push my luck too much further with the wife...:badidea:
I don't think I will let the temps get as hot as they used to...Just keep adding air.
I'm gonna take it easy for awhile after this thing is back together...:evil:blahblah1:

Long time no talk buddyLOL

Ivan...I have been following your build and I hope everything works out ESPECIALLY considering what you've been put through over the past year:Cheer:

Keep us posted and enjoy your trip!!!!

Thanks David!

BTW...did you get to run your trucks yet?? (The big one, AND the little one...or...the fast one, and the much faster one)

Hoping to get it all together before the end of the month...but I'm not holding my breath...LOL

I found a complete set of pistons, rings, and pins for $220.00 off E-bay. (Brand NEW!!) QUOTE]

I was getting ready to bid on those and lost internet connection. Glad someone got them that I know!! I would have hate to run them up on you.

Jeremy

I'm sorry you lost your connection Jeremy...:evil :umno:

I feel bad now...:snoop::snoop:

Ok...seriously now...I'm glad you never bid them up either.
I actually logged on with less than a minute left, and saw that no one had bid on them yet...:woohoo:I couldn't believe I won them.:snoop:

I priced out JUST a set of rings from the dealership...$710.00 plus tax.:bang

I guess you will have to wait for the 6.4L set to come up...LOL

Thanks again Jeremy!:Cheer:

Picked up the rods, and pistons yesterday. Took some pictures of both. Dropped them off at the shop thats doing some of the work this morning.
Going to cut the tops of the pistons down, and yes...I am getting them tops coated.
Cutting them down AFTER they measure up the heights of the cylinders with the new rods, and pistons. (I want it perfectly equal.)

This is taking wayyyyy to long now.....

I was thinking about it, but for having a tuner on the poor 'ol girl for all but 1500 miles out of the over 110000, the bearings look brand new. (I have been using Amsoil Series 3000) So, to spend the extra on the coatings right now...I don't think I will push my luck too much further with the wife...:badidea:
I don't think I will let the temps get as hot as they used to...Just keep adding air.
I'm gonna take it easy for awhile after this thing is back together...:evil:blahblah1:

i know exactly what you mean with the wife, but when i pulled my motor apart at 64k miles, the bearings looked so horrible i couldn't believe they came out of a running motor. if those bearings were in a gasser, it would have been siezed !!

Picked up the rods, and pistons yesterday. Took some pictures of both. Dropped them off at the shop thats doing some of the work this morning.
Going to cut the tops of the pistons down, and yes...I am getting them tops coated.
Cutting them down AFTER they measure up the heights of the cylinders with the new rods, and pistons. (I want it perfectly equal.)

This is taking wayyyyy to long now.....

Roughly how long do the stock pistons last? Is it like a 2 stroke where if you replace the piston you feel some initial gain in power? Just wondering if while I'm getting studded if it would be worth to toss in some beefed up, coated pistons. thanks.

What type of power do you want out of it?

Realize that it is a little more than just adding pistons. Anytime you change pistons, you have to have the block honed and/or bored, and that means taking everything out with only leaving a bare block.

Basically a full rebuild. Then you talking about probably 2 months before the truck is back up and running. The stock pistons will work just fine until the point where the rods are going to give you problems (700-800hp). So, really no point in changing anything until you build the engine. At that point, you should always consider coating everything because the benefits are worth the additional coasts, assuming you can afford it.

oh ok cool. I see. On my 2-stroke yz125, whenever I swapped out the piston I didn't always hone the cylinder and as soon as I hit the track I could feel "new power" because I didn't have a tired piston. Just wondering if it was at all the same with a diesel.

Back