Upgraded tranny

dangerous06

diesel tech
What's the easiest to do? My customer hates the 3 speed in his 91 and wants to upgrade to a newer style. What has been the go to auto tranny?

47rh with toggle switches for over drive and pickup, 47re with the anteater controller would be the best and not that hard to do, esp if its 2wd.

I have heard of anyone running the ant in a first Gen yet

Something smart goes here

I forgot about it being a ve, do they have a tps sensor that would work for it?

Any chance he'll want a 5 yanker? I'd like to sell off my 4500 set-up to go to an auto, and you guys aren't terribly far from AZ.

What is he/she not liking about the 727? They're pretty strong units for the HP potential of the mighty VE.

Any chance he'll want a 5 yanker? I'd like to sell off my 4500 set-up to go to an auto, and you guys aren't terribly far from AZ.

What is he/she not liking about the 727? They're pretty strong units for the HP potential of the mighty VE.

I'll ask him! What upgrades can be done to the 727?

You/he isn't going to get the power out of the VE like a P, but yes there are quite a few little tweeks that can be done for close to free. I'd highly suggest a lift pump before anything is done to the VE. The stock one is nothing like the p pump factory lift pump. On a good day a VE stock lift pump is around 3-5 psi. Once you start tweeking the VE it's down to 0 psi.

Turning up the pre 94 Ram diesel injector pump

If you plumb in a regulator you can use a P pump lift pump, but don't exceed 10-12 psi. Some guys get away with higher but that's the "safe" pressure. The front seal can blow out and fill the crank case with #2. A cheap fix for that is to pull the pump, green lock-tite the seal and "stake" the seal. Very ease and works great.

I've never messed with the ve pumps but rode in a buddies truck that has the fuel pin, gov spring, AFC mods, timing advance and a lift pump (rapter 150 I think) with a hx35. It was a swap in a second Gen that had a bad motor and just left it with the ve, probably about 300rwhp and runs dam good. For under 400hp I think I like it better than a p pump, says its alot better on fuel mileage so far and you can't bump the key fast enough for it not to crank. I guess its the timing advance why it feels different but like it better than my work truck that's about the same power whise.

OK Update Customer brought me a complete 95 with transmission and wants to drop it in!
What works and what doesn't? Engine should be easy but the tranny has me wondering! It's a 47RE What do I need to make it work? Also the tranny is 2x4 and his truck is 4x4. Can I take the OD housing off his 91 and put it on the 95? Thanks for the help I hate conversions LOL

I thought the 47re didn't come until 96 but if that's what it is you would need either a manual valve body, anteater, or standalone valve body. The overdrive housings won't swap so you would have to find a 4wd od housing for 47re and then it will bolt to the transfer case if you put a 1/2 inch spacer between them. However if it's a 47rh then it will be easier

If it's a 95 it's an rh. The OD housing swaps from any 94-95.

any way to tell year? RE to RH
Also anybody figure how to get a 25 year old fan clutch nut to turn?

Back