Using dual PCN's ?

QMFB

Fastest Welder in Texas
Hoping to get some experienced feedback here. I'm in the middle of rebuilding my '04, and came across some information that the plugs in the main saddle can be removed and the old style PCN's installed while ALSO using the J-style PCN's.
The only​ article I've been able to find says this only suffers a 1psi drop in oil pressure. Has anybody done this that can verify ? If it really is a negligible drop in oil psi, then it's a no brainier upgrade IMO. Double the oil cooling the pistons.
Thoughts ?

Bueler... Bueler... Bueler......

You'd be better off keeping the oil at a lower temp, rather than spraying more of the same hot oil.

And I wasn't aware the CR blocks had provisions for the old style nozzles.

The 5.9's do... I'm not sure if the 6.7's still have them or not.

And I'm not to sure 200 degree oil could be considered hot, compared to the aluminum melting temperature of combustion against the pistons that it is designed to cool ? I know additional oil under the piston would be a benefit, that's simple phsyics... Just not sure if adding additional PCN's will have too much of a negative effect on oil pressure, or potentially starve the main bearings ?

No 200F isn't hot, but you never said why the engine was being rebuilt or what your current oil temps are.

I will say that if you saw how much oil comes out of those nozzles running 40+psi @ 200F+ you wouldn't be concerned about adding another nozzle.

Engine is being rebuilt because it's got 300k on the clock... And my transmission failed and needed to be sent back to the builder. So I figured, what the heck, time to get her done right. Not planning on changing my air or fuel at the moment, but I want to build my long block to hold 2x what it's putting out now. So any future fuel / air increases I decided I can't live without, I won't have to worry about the internals.

Engine never overheated is it was before.

For $50 to add extra squirter's is a very simple improvement... IF there aren't negative effects. My primary concern with it would be oil pressure, and oil starvation of the main berings. But I just don't have the knowledge and experience. Hoping to find it here.

I have seen them both used in an engine we tore down for a melted piston. We put it back together with just the jet squirters but it didn't appear to have any oil pressure issues previously.

Was injector failure the cause of the melted piston ? Or tunning ?... Thanks for the info on the oil pressure. I'm assuming the bearings were in good shape ?

I've done it on industrial engines. If you experience lower oil pressure than what you prefer, you can put a high volume oil pump in it.

Didn't even know there was a higher volume oil pump available for the common rail Cummins ?. I know they exist to update the earlier 12-24v engines...

Was injector failure the cause of the melted piston ? Or tunning ?... Thanks for the info on the oil pressure. I'm assuming the bearings were in good shape ?

Tuning and a guy towing heavy and not watching his pyro

No high flow oil pumps exist fro the common rail... Or if they do, they aren't advertised or for sale. Lol.

I haven't advertised them. They have a wider 40% wider gerotor than the stock pumps.

I haven't advertised them. They have a wider 40% wider gerotor than the stock pumps.

And you are the manufacturer ? Can you supply any information on these pumps ? Flow GPM, pressure, any clearance issues, price ?

I buy a 8.3 pump and modify it. A stock pump is 20.5 GPM @ 2400 rpm pump speed, these are 27.5 @ 2200 pump speed.

Pressure is a result of pump flow vs restriction. If you don't change your main relief, it will still open at the same pressure, but the gpm will be there to keep the pressure up at lower rpm.

I modify the pump bodies, gears, and shafts so they fit under the stock cover and line up with the crank gear.

5.9 CR pumps are $250 exchange. I need your old pump to get the straight cut gears back.

Back