V-Band Help

1stgensleeper

Not sure if this is the right section, mods can move it if need be.

I'm having yet another issue getting an s400 single installed on my 2006. The s400 instal kit I purchased off a member here came with a downpipe that had a 4 5/8" flange on it and the correct v-band to match, I then bought a 92 turbine and a 1.10 housing to fit it that supposedly had the same 4 5/8" v-band flange but now that I have it all on the truck I don't think it is. This flange on the turbo measures about 4 3/4" and is a good bit thicker than the flange on the turbo. When I try to tighten the two together it wants to push them off center and when I hold them perfectly centered together and put the clamp on I can't get any threads to show, like that clamp is too small. The thickness of the flange on the turbo is making it so that the flanges are to wide to be shoved into the "V" in the clamp and that's why it isn't closing.

I tried looking a little bit for a larger v-band clamp last night and didn't find any that would be about the size I need. I'm not sure if I should machine the turbo flange smaller and a little thinner or if maybe I can get it to work using a 5" v-band? I'm stumped as to why this flange is so much thicker and slightly larger. Thanks for any help.

Unless that flange was cut and re welded on the t6 1.10 it's the standard 5" flange.

I know the T6 on my Garrett 94mm I just sold had a 5" marmon flange on it . Marmon flanges do appear thicker than standard V band flanges plus it has a slight angle/tapper to it .

There's an old article on here somewhere with guys saying they ground down the marmon flange curve to get the surface flush.

It's a self aligning male flange welded on the housing, the problem here is the downpipe doesn't have the correct female flange.

It's a self aligning male flange welded on the housing, the problem here is the downpipe doesn't have the correct female flange.

Thanks for the help Cody. I have new flanges and a clamp ordered and on the way. Hopefully this is the last hiccup I have to deal with.

Back