Valve Seat Consensus?

ctdiesel99

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Getting ready to do a budget build on an 04.5 CR. Want to address the valve seat issue from the get go and do the upgraded high nickel content valve seats. My question is, do most/all failures come from the exhaust side, or should i address the intake side as well? The 3-5 engines that i've seen with dropped valve seats have all been on the exhaust side.

I would typically recommend to do upgraded seats all around, but it would save me some $$ only doing the exhaust side, but don't want to cheap out if it will cause an issue down the road.

Truck is used for street/strip and will be 1000-ish RWHP.

I put good seats in mine and haven't had any issues.
What is the interference you plan on using to press the seats in?

I think you would be fine to do just exhaust, given there were no other issues.

I put good seats in mine and haven't had any issues.
What is the interference you plan on using to press the seats in?

Did you do intake & exhaust side or just exhaust?
D&J Precision or EEP will be doing the head work, not me.

I'd do them all. Some machine shops will order an oversize seat, machine the head and make them a to where they press in tighter than factory

really want to risk dropping a seat over saving money? bet you'll be mad as hell when youre picking it out of a piston :hehe:

Some machine shops will order an oversize seat, machine the head and make them a to where they press in tighter than factory
had EEP do this to my head back in 2008 on my puller. Had zero issues and countless hooks since. I had them all done.

Back