Valve seats?

dieseljunkie

Wasted Wages
Can somebody take me to school on what exacly takes place when (and how) a 24v vavle drops a seat? What is the fix (in the head) and is any 24v head better than another?

The head gets hot and expands, and the seat just falls out. Then the valve and piston chew it up and spit some of it out the turbo. The rest stays in and chews up the head.

I've only heard of 2 fix's. Have oversized seats pressed in, or pin the seats.

I did oversized seats in my new build.....I didn't wanna take the chance on dropping one.

I've dropped 2 once towing, once empty. Both times I shut the truck off, and it was running fine, when restarted it was knocking, and missing. both times cooled the egt's before shutting the truck off. Can't think of anything different that happened before they dropped.

Slight ticking noise and a different exhaust tone can be heard. I believe that the 03 and maybe early 04's were the only ones prone to dropping seats. A tighter machining tolerance from the factory resolved most of the seat dropping issues.

I have an 03 with just over 100,000 miles, I am gonna take the head off and get it Fire Ringed, This Pinning of the seats or oversized, Which is better and does anyone know about it would cost either way?

The reason I asked is cuz about mid season I lost a charger. I sent it back and they told me they found a piece of cast steel in the ex. housing which caused the failure. Truck runs fine, although after I got the charger back the next pull she was leaking oil out of the waist gate cover. I took the ex. mani off and found #4 port was wet, but the truck runs great. I did a compression test, found nothing abnormal. I recently took the head off the only thing that looks bad is the ex. vavle seals, but could that be the problem? EEP says they dont even run seals in dedicated pullers! WTF, anybody?:bang

the oil your getting is from bad valve guides. No i wouldnt run seal on the ex. either! If you plan on street driving it much i would leave the intake seals on. A lil extra oil you get from leaving the seals off the ex. guides will help to prevent sticking a valve.

All the vavle guides were replaced before last season( at least that is what i paid for). The head is back at the machine shop, should I tell him to leave the ex. seals out and have new seats pressed in? Should I have them pinned as well?

See how much press the old seats have on them and decided from there. i would tell them to leave them off.

Back