Valve Springs

navistarboy

So what hp range would valve springs be recommended? Also where can get em? Just curious cause my go fast parts are in the mail.:woohoo: :D

I am a decent auto (gasser) mechanic and an awesome aircraft mechanic. I really havent taken a diesel engine apart but here are some tips from the acft side that I know for sure. In any circumstance where valve springs are applied you need the right tensions on both sides to allow for whatever valve overlap you need or want. Excessive valve clearances will cause the duration of valve opening to remain open for a shorter period of time than they would have with a normal clearance.
The cam must turn farther to open the valve and the valve will close before the cam has turned to the correct valve-closing position.

Hydraulic valve lifters are used to keep all of the clearance out of the valve system when the engine is operating and the lifters are pumped up.
When the lifters are completely flat, there will be clearance in the system of a specified amount above zero.
Hydraulic valve lifters are used because they remove all of the clearance between the rocker arm and the tip of the valve stem.
By keeping all of this clearance removed, the valves operate with less noise and less wear.
I can explain it more but it takes up too much time. I hope this helps out.

A short answer is when you start throwing down around 450+...

If you need help installing them, let me know. I've also got a video writeup for you if you want it.

PS - what other go-fast goodies did ya get?

You will need chromoly pushrods to even out stiffer valve springs

I wouldn't say they're absolutely needed, but I'd recommend them as well.

I know quite a few truck dyno'ing around 420-440 that have stiffer springs and stock pushrods. They keep bending the factory ones though... so it IS cheaper to just do it right the first time ;)

Also, I pity the soul that has to do these in the truck. There are 32 valve springs, and 64 TINY collars to take out, and another 64 TINY collars to put back in. Handling 128 collars, you're bound to drop one and there are WAY to many places in the heads for it to go for my liking.

It has less to do with power and more to do with RPM. The more rpms you spin the more chance you have of floating a valve.

Get some comp cams 910x springs from jegs or somewhere.

I did mine in the truck, they werent that bad.

Get some comp cams 910x springs from jegs or somewhere.

I did mine in the truck, they werent that bad.

I got the 910's, they were pretty easy to put in.

Doing them in the truck is entirely possible... but just do take into consideration if you drop one of those collars down and it HAPPENS to get into one of those oil drains g'luck finding it or even fishing it out!!

Additionally most spring pullers have a difficult time fitting under the cowl of a SUPERDUTY (not OBS since there is more clearance)... I've heard of people chopping the star handle off the top just to get the clearance needed.

To the OP - regardless of what you're told on here you are ultimately responsible for your truck when you are working on it. These people won't be available to you when you're working on your truck to walk you through it. Well except for me lol since I'm close.

Actually I just noticed OldschoolPSD is the guy I just added from Davidsonville to my myspace and it looks like Travis's truck in the background... I think that's at truckahoe... so he's closeby too. :Cheer:

Man you're in luck :hehe:

I got the 910's, they were pretty easy to put in.

Doing them in the truck is entirely possible... but just do take into consideration if you drop one of those collars down and it HAPPENS to get into one of those oil drains g'luck finding it or even fishing it out!!

Additionally most spring pullers have a difficult time fitting under the cowl of a SUPERDUTY (not OBS since there is more clearance)... I've heard of people chopping the star handle off the top just to get the clearance needed.

To the OP - regardless of what you're told on here you are ultimately responsible for your truck when you are working on it. These people won't be available to you when you're working on your truck to walk you through it. Well except for me lol since I'm close.

Actually I just noticed OldschoolPSD is the guy I just added from Davidsonville to my myspace and it looks like Travis's truck in the background... I think that's at truckahoe... so he's closeby too. :Cheer:

Man you're in luck :hehe:

Yep, thats Bailey's truck. Did you hear about the test and tune pull at Tuckahoe on April 5th?

I did studs and springs in my 2000 psd in chasis and the studs were 6hrs and the springs were 3-1/2 hrs on two seperate weekends.. wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had another 7.3 but there is a 5.9 in there now.. :evil

I didn't hear about it... but we'll see what I do since I took off work on the 2nd, and 3rd and I have off on the 4th and 5th.

I plan to go to the track's test and tune at cecil on the 2nd. Problem is... I dunno when my BTS will be here yet. It will only be a few hours to get it in, but still.

If I have my BTS... I'll probably make an appearance. Either way - I'll be running light tunes between now and the BTS. Chips gotta be sent out to Jody for reprogramming.

Back