Vanes on compressor of turbo?

PRINCETON_JAKE

I pulled apart a very large turbo I got and it has vanes on the backing plate of the compressor side (like a VGT but non adjustable) anyone ever seen this before or know what the advantage/disadvantage is?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
I have that same turbo in my garage. Currently making a lamp out of it. It's a cummins turbo. Pre holset. Very old dinosaur.

I posted a picture a while back to ID it and IIRC the consensus was ST50 or ST60.

The turbine wheels are funky in these. About half of the blade is exposed on the back side.

I don't care what the turbo is (it's junk) I'm wondering why they have vanes on the compressor and why that didn't catch on

Not sure what it is but pretty sure it was used to chop ball bearings. LOL

Schwitzer turbo. Those vanes are efficient at very narrow rpm range, might work with steady rpm generator engine but nothing else. PDI made same on turbine side a couple years ago. In 21st Century, can you imagine ? And it was like 3000$ or something.

Not sure what it is but pretty sure it was used to chop ball bearings. LOL

No it's a batmo wheel can't you tell lmao

Thanks guys, I was just curios what the point was. When you say it's only for a narrow rpm band, could that idea be transferred to high dollar pulling turbos that are used in specific rpms also? Just a dumb thought out loud

Again I'm using this junker for truck art

They direct the flow to help spool the turbo. PDI still makes one that those vanes can be swapped out in about 20 min. to help make power in different situations.

They direct the flow to help spool the turbo. PDI still makes one that those vanes can be swapped out in about 20 min. to help make power in different situations.
It only works if you dont know how to match turbo with engine.

For those who want to try one, it's real cheap, spins freely.

Attachments

• 20150209_075550.jpg
    20150209_075550.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 0
A vaned diffuser is one of the tools used to tailor a compressor's output to a specific customer design point.

The vanes can be used to increase the pressure ratio or improve the efficiency at a certain operating point.

In the old days, what people are saying is true, they generally really "worked" in a very narrow window on the map. Now with the advancements in CFD, they are making some headway with improvements that are less "peaky". I believe you will begin to see more of this kind of thing. Add motion capability to them and you have VGC to go with your VGT.

As car engines use more CVTs (putting the engine at a more constant operating point), these kind of things can get the OEM 1 or 2% more efficiency. They hit the target and it's sold. That's how Garrett ships 30,000 turbos A DAY. Cars and light trucks!! Everything else is a drop in the bucket.

So again, these are nothing new, just another tool to be pulled out to hit a certain customer design criteria, which is likely heavily based on emissions, not absolute power.

Last edited:
Back