Variable Timing P-Pump

turboman1

Has anyone every tried to adapt a variable valve timing (electronic type VVT-iE) unit to the p pump?

Maybe using the unit made by Denso?

DENSO DYNAMICS

Adam

it would have to be adapted to the pump gear itself, there would need to be a cam type system inside the pump gear to advance or retard it

in theory it would work, an actuall mechanical design is something yet to be done

i would purchase one no matter what the cost if it was produced, im sure denso could adapt something to work

Last edited:
Where is CompD picture gallery?

Some years ago I uploaded over there some pump pictures with variable timing gear

Caterpillar has an adjustable advance gear ive been trying to locate.... :evil

Caterpillar has an adjustable advance gear ive been trying to locate.... :evil

A few of the older Fiat and Allis Chalmers dozers used something very similar...

The really sweet set-up would be the factory Bosch pump that uses variable timing internally as well as an electronic governor. It's all controlled by computer, but you could in theory have a 12 or 13mm pump with stock like governor reactions, open rpm, and variable timing to boot! The cost of the electronics to run it would probably negate the benefits though. They came off of the QSK Cummins engines IIRC

Last edited:
Don't think it would be very handy to adapt.

2010-07-01_044736_Timing_advance.jpg

I was dreaming about a cam/spring setup inside of the pump gear similar to the design of the advance weights inside of a chevy distributor.....

A few of the older Fiat and Allis Chalmers dozers used something very similar...

The really sweet set-up would be the factory Bosch pump that uses variable timing internally as well as an electronic governor. It's all controlled by computer, but you could in theory have a 12 or 13mm pump with stock like governor reactions, open rpm, and variable timing to boot! The cost of the electronics to run it would probably negate the benefits though. They came off of the QSK Cummins engines IIRC

Bosch P Electric - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Here is where the electronic gov was mentioned a while back

Simple really, there's a inner and outer helical.....you know now I think about it, the cam is just straight cut. The inner and outer helical is separate, oil pressure acts on a piston that pushes the inner helical in or out and that changes the relation of the gear to the pump. Your diagram shows the older units I believe with a spring that returns it.

Simple really, there's a inner and outer helical.....you know now I think about it, the cam is just straight cut. The inner and outer helical is separate, oil pressure acts on a piston that pushes the inner helical in or out and that changes the relation of the gear to the pump. Your diagram shows the older units I believe with a spring that returns it.

The reason i picked out that diagram is because i was doing the Caterpillar training program (its old, circa 1996) and it had me watch videos and test on how to set the timing stop, increase etc. It got me thinking if i could get a cut away of the device that i saw in the program i could figure out how it worked and start playing with some designs on my brother in laws lathe/ mill. But i dont have time and the parts look to be a little more complex than my machining skills could handle. :rules:

Fun to dream though

I think the 8400 John Deere tractor uses a electronic p pump

Weird that this thread popped up, I was just going to post up something about this.

Here's some pics out of the book "Diesel In-Line Fuel-Injection Pumps" by Bosch
IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0878.jpg

Anybody know what applications the timing advance gear was used on? Would like to get my hands on one to play with.

Back